ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 v1.6

52 Posts
4 Users
13 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@huckohio I found this page, you probably know it, but for the others who might be interested it is a good summary of the 3 families of S3.

https://esp32s3.com

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander Here is the github link

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_dev_index.json 

I purchased the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 v1.6 from DigiKey.  It should be the first board on the link I sent you.

I am planning on using them to upgrade an Environment Control project that I installed in my wife's rabbit shed (it's an actual 16x12 shed we put in the back of the yard).  The current unit uses an ESP32-PICO and a temp sensor to control 2 fans, 2 heat lamps, and a water heater based on the inside temp.  The PICO works with the Arduino Cloud and I can view the temp and override any of the above devices state (override means that if it's ON I can turn it OFF and it will stay OFF until I remove the override.  The same is true if the device is OFF and I use override to turn it on).

I am not real happy with the Arduino cloud.  The unit disconnects after a few days even when using a watchdog (I think that's what it's called) timer that restarts the PICO every 24 hours.  I have to walk out to the shed and cycle power to reestablish the connection with the Arduino Cloud.

In the new version I plan on using the ESP32-S3 (no real technical reason for using the S3 - it was just the newest) in the shed to perform the same functions as the existing unit.  The difference will be communication between the shed and the house will be via ESP-NOW.  I want my wife to be able to see the temperature trends and device status even if I lose connection to the cloud, so I am thinking of passing the data from the receiving ESP32 to a Pi 3B+ and give her a small touch screen display where she can see the temp, device status, and have the option to override the device state.

I may continue to use the Arduino Cloud, but I will connect the receiving ESP32 (in the house) to the cloud just so she can view the data (and select an override) from her phone, but if the connection to the cloud takes a dump she can still see the data from the house.

Here's a couple pictures of the existing unit:

IMG 0600
IMG 0596

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander BTW, love the tag line!

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @huckohio

@zander This is the board I purchased. 

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/devkits 

You'll see the S3 as the first board.

@zander Here is the link from DigiKey.  

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/espressif-systems/ESP32-S3-DEVKITC-1-N8R2/15199627 

The part number is ESP32-S3-DEVKITC-1-N8R2

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Very nice build. My mechanical skills suck, I am a software guy. I am also using the cloud and have some problems with it as well. I am going to re-think my approach but not sure if I can do what I want any other way. Basically arduino(ESP32) and Amazon Alexa.

Did you have any success taking an online cloud sketch and downloading it to work on it then uploading it again without the cloud stomping all over it? If you did what the hell is the secret.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander I developed the code over a year ago, but I remember that I prototyped the code in the Arduino IDE while I was also building up the hardware on a breadboard.  Once I was happy with how everything was working, I create the Arduino Cloud project and then pasted my code into the new cloud sketch files (sketch, thingProperties.h, and sercret). 

Once the project was created in the cloud,  I stuck with using the cloud's full editor.  I found it much easier.  I don't remember downloading the code and then uploading (or pasting back into the sketch).  As long as you didn't change the code added by the cloud, I don't see any issues changing your unique code.  The one key for me was making sure the Create Agent was running on the PC.  Sometimes it would stop and I would need to restart the agent.   

Here is a screen shot of the my project in the editor:

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio I did pretty much the same, wrote the bulk of the code then uploaded to the cloud to add a few cloud elements. Got it working then decided to add Alexa. Even that was working until my wife requested a change in behaviour and now nothing works and I can't figure out why. When I did try to re-upload the cloud re-added some elements. It's not a big deal but I thought I was done and now I have a mess. Maybe I missed it, the normal editor has an archive facility, the full web editor specifically says no rename or duplicate. That makes it difficult to do version control, not impossible but a royal PITA. I will attack it again next week, this week is full of personal stuff and I will beat it eventually, but it will be bloody.

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@huckohio

I have an ESP32s3 board from the unexpected maker which I got from pimoroni.  The pimoroni site states:

There is no ESP32-S3 support in Arduino yet, but work has started on it! 

Arduino support for the ESP32-S3 is scheduled for release in v2.10 of the ESP32 Arduino Core

So I expect the board manager you found is very recent.  The unexpected maker site says:

Arduino support is not finished - and could take 6+ months to stabilise based on how long things are still taking for S2 and C3.

So I expect there are still some rough edges to the Arduino support for this board and you may find a few issues when using it with the Arduino IDE for a few months yet.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander I checked my project in the cloud editor and I see that I have a few sketches with different dates.  There is a 'save as' and 'rename sketch' option.  I usually use 'save as' and change the sketch date in the filename as a way for version control. 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Wow, I have the opposite, see attached pics, those options are greyed out and at the bottom under TIPS it explicitlyh says not available. What is your path to the editor that has those features? Mine is 'arduino.cc' then after login select either web editor, or IoT and then select the switch to full editor.

Screen Shot 2022 05 03 at 06.59.23
Screen Shot 2022 05 03 at 06.59.14

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

@huckohio I did pretty much the same, wrote the bulk of the code then uploaded to the cloud to add a few cloud elements. Got it working then decided to add Alexa. Even that was working until my wife requested a change in behaviour and now nothing works and I can't figure out why. When I did try to re-upload the cloud re-added some elements. It's not a big deal but I thought I was done and now I have a mess. Maybe I missed it, the normal editor has an archive facility, the full web editor specifically says no rename or duplicate. That makes it difficult to do version control, not impossible but a royal PITA. I will attack it again next week, this week is full of personal stuff and I will beat it eventually, but it will be bloody.

As you know Ron, I don't really feel safe and secure with any kind of cloud computing, thus I have strayed away from it and made that clear.  Having said that however, I find it so intriguing that so many people appear to have many issues with it, that I might just set up an account and start dwelling into it myself, just to experience it, and hopefully help anyone else along the way... gimme some time to purchase what I need etc... 😉

Cheers

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander My appologies, I did a quick look and saw the rename option, but didn't pay attention to the options being grayed out.   As I mentioned, I use the save as option for version control.  I now see that the rename isn't available in the full web editor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Neither is Rename, also greyed out right under Duplicate. How on earth did you do it?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad You don't need to purchase anything the accounts are useful at the free level, then either the $2 or the $6 a month for more. You don't even need a shiny new Arduino board, most any old ESP32 or ESP8266 will work.

I would love to see you checking it out, we can always use another pair of well experienced eyes. If you want a challenge, the new IDE 2.0 is supposed to be able to edit on the web. I haven't tried it yet because I can't take a chance messing with my one and only sketch. I just started creating a test sketch for experimenting. I am looking forward to your future involvement!

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

@frogandtoad You don't need to purchase anything the accounts are useful at the free level, then either the $2 or the $6 a month for more. You don't even need a shiny new Arduino board, most any old ESP32 or ESP8266 will work.

I would love to see you checking it out, we can always use another pair of well experienced eyes. If you want a challenge, the new IDE 2.0 is supposed to be able to edit on the web. I haven't tried it yet because I can't take a chance messing with my one and only sketch. I just started creating a test sketch for experimenting. I am looking forward to your future involvement!

OK then, I'll have a good look at it over the next few days... and hopefully be able to contribute to resolving any issues people may be having.

I'm tired and need some sleep... goodnight for now.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4