Notifications
Clear all

ESP32: Trying to revive it. No com port only a blue light blinks once.

19 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

I was able to revive a Mega 2560 Wifi.   I upgraded it to the latest firmware.  

I followed https://diyodemag.com/projects/fixing_firmware_arduino_bootloader_on_uno_mega_part_1

ready
AT+GMR
AT version:1.6.2.0(Apr13201811:10:59)
SDK version:2.2.1(6ab97e9)
compile time:Jun7201819:34:26
Bin version(Wroom02):1.6.2
OK

Works great.  I can get a Wifi address.   

I want to do the same to this ESP32 module pictured.  When I plug it in, the blue light flashes once.   Nothing comes up.  My workstation doesn't show a COM Port for it.  I would like to revive it.  Not sure if it is bricked.   I can't find decent instructions on how to do it.  

20240427 070751

I thought about upgrading all my Arduino devices.  Not sure it is worth it.   

(@davee)

Hi @scsiraidguru,

Others may be able to help more, but I haven't had a 'bricked' ESP32. However, I have previously noticed that Espressif provide firmware images, and there are instructions on the web, probably by Espressif, as well as YouTubes, on how to reload the firmware, so a few minutes Googling should provide some suggestions.

However, I am somewhat dubious whether 'bricking', by overwriting the firmware, is your problem.

"My workstation doesn't show a COM Port for it." leads me to wonder if this is a different problem. ESP32s normally have a USB handling chip, which in your photo will be the square black chip with about 28 pins, next to the USB socket, probably with a number like CH340 or CP2102. Intuitively, I would have expected your workstation to 'chat' directly with this chip, to negotiate and initialise a driver on the workstation, before the ESP32 and its firmware got involved.

Furthermore, downloading firmware is essentially the same process as downloading a user program, using the USB cable etc. so I am not optimistic that you will be able to do that, before you have persuaded your workstation to initialise the appropriate USB driver, etc.

Although the board looks completely disconnected, make sure there are no links to any of the pins, as some ESP32 pins are checked for being high or low at power up/boot time, with different results, depending on what it finds.

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@scsiraidguru What were you doing with the esp32 before you got the symptom of no COM port?

You are talking about two different manufacturers, ESP AND Arduino. Don't confuse them.

I have had several dozen cases of what you have, and every time the board was OK. It's just the way it is. I have found some cases where I have to close the serial monitor, some I have to reload the IDE, very rarely re-boot, but NEVER have I had to re-flash the board.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

I tested the 3.3V pins.  1.45 to 1.66V out of all 3.   

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @scsiraidguru,

RE: I tested the 3.3V pins. 1.45 to 1.66V out of all 3.

Sorry, but to have a chance of me understanding a description like that, I need a lot more contextual information, preferably to the point of pointing at a referenced schematic, plus defining what conditions you were testing and which pins, etc.

On the face of it, ~1.5V on 3.3V pins does not sound healthy, but it might have a simple explanation, including it might be a floating input or an oscilating output.

In addition, if this problem applies to a single ESP32 board, with an AliExpress price tag of about US$3, there comes a point, where replacement is  the obvious first option. I realise that sometimes, a 'full forensic' approach to find out the whys and hows is justified, but this also implies the 'forensic sleuth' examining the board has both the test equipment and knowledge to achieve it, neither of which come cheap in the commercial world. Of course, we have some helpful and knowledgeable contributors to the forum, but there are practical limits.

Best wishes, Dave 

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

I like to try to revive stuff.   Yes, I know they are cheap.  I have over 12 Arduinos now.  I revived my Mega 2560 Wifi.  I thought I would give it a try.  

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@scsiraidguru Do you buy 'dead' boards, or do you accidentally kill them?

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

No idea.  This board connects to a powered USB hub not a power pack.   Never had it working.   I could have been a dead board.  

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@scsiraidguru I am confused, in order to program the board, it has to be connected to a computer via USB, no need for a hub.

BTW, when are you going to learn to use the Reply link?

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

@zander I keep forgetting reply is there.   I have many USB devices.  It is easier to plug in and off a hub.  I once shorted a motherboard removing the plugs.  I figured it is bricked.  I thought it would be interesting to try to revive it.  

This post was modified 1 week ago by scsiraidguru

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@scsiraidguru Maybe it works.

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

@zander I wanted to reflash it to see if I can get some life from it.  So far, USB connection doesn't even find a port when it is connected in device manager.   Some one said to connect a multimeter to 3.3V and ground.  I don't get 3.3V about half.  I looked at the board under a magnifying glass and didn't see any damage.  I tried both Ubuntu 22.04 and Windows 11

This post was modified 1 week ago by scsiraidguru

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@scsiraidguru IIRC, there is a procedure that involves at a minimum holding down the reset button, and I don't recall the other steps. Try searching the Espressif doc library for flash but of course that will give a lot of false hits for Flash memory.

ReplyQuote
(@scsiraidguru)
Topic starter  

@zander It took 2 months to find good docs on the flashing the Mega 2560 Wifi.   I wondered if Bill knew how to do it.  He took a fall and his mom is injured.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@scsiraidguru I know about Bill and his Mom, I was online when Bill reported it.

Are you trying to upload the AT firmware?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2