Clear all

ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 v1.6

52 Posts
4 Users
13 Likes
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

I have an ESP32-S3 board and I am trying to load Bill's Mac Address sketch from his ESP-NOW video, but I cannot find the ESP32-S3 in the boards manager. I have the following in the Additional Boards Manager URLs box:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json 

I even tried the Dev link (now removed):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_ 
˓→dev_index.json

The esp32 Boards Manager file is version 2.0.2.  When I look at the github page for 2.0.2 is states that it supports ESP32-S3.

I have tried all of the ESP32 boards, except Pico, under the ESP32 Arduino option in the Boards Manager drop-down menu with no success.

Here is the error messages I am receiving (I also tried both ports).

esptool.py v3.1
Serial port /dev/ttyS4
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____An error occurred while uploading the sketch
_

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Has anyone used the ESP32-S3 and been able to find the S3 board in the boards listing?

Topic Tags
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Wow, youi tried them all, there must be a few hundred of them. I wish they had a search function, but I don't see an S3, I do see an S2. However, that error sounds like you didn't hold down the boot pin. Did you?

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Just for giggles, pick the Generic ESP32 board and load the blink sketch, I think it always works, but I certainly haven't tried every board.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Darn, just found the search function. NO S3, but a C3, any chance of mis-seeing? I need to use a magnifier to read them things.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander LOL...When I said 'all' I was referring to the boards that started with ESP32.  Sorry for the confusion.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander I did try the generic ESP32.  The IDE will not connect to the board.  I switched to an ESP32-PICO and was able to load the MAC Address sketch and it worked.  

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander I should read all your reply's and answer them in one response.  My board is definitely an S3, but I did try the C3 board.  No luck.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Yes, thats what I meant. The bad news is I did do a search and there is no S3 in the board manager. Is there anything special about it, what about an S2, sounds similar or a C3.

What happens if you run your sketch using just the Generic ESP32

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio I have a few different ESP32's, but haven't seen an S3. That's a new one on me, I have had to choose Generic occasionally and got it to work, sometimes by changing libraries or includes but not often. I assume google is no help. Sorry, I don't know any tricks other than what I already mentioned.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander Ron, There are two USB ports on the S3,  One is labeled 'USB' and the second is 'UART'.  I was connected to the USB port.  I just switched to the UART and tried to upload the sketch and I received a different error message.

esptool.py v3.1
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting...An error occurred while uploading the sketch

A fatal error occurred: This chip is ESP32-S3(beta3) not ESP32. Wrong --chip argument?

It looks like I am finally talking to the board, althought I would have assumed the USB connection would have worked.  The error is callinig the S3 a beta (news to me), so I'll load the dev link into the preferences and see what happens, but I think I am still dealing with the lack of S3 option in boards manager.

Thanks for the responses.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Did you search github for an ESP32-S3 repository? There are a bunch of hits on the search but I don't know enough about it to be able to select one correct repository.

BTW, I did not know this is their latest and greatest board. Now I need to get some.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Have you seen this, any help?

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/devkits/esp32-devkitc/resources

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

Problem solved.

1. I switched the USB cable from the ESP32-S3 USB connector to the UART connector.  When I then tried to upload the sketch I received a different error message - identified the board as a beta version.

2. I added the 'dev' github link into the Arduino IDE preferences.  I then noticed a error trying to connect to github.  I needed to remove a CR that was in the link.

3. I then went to the Boards Manager and updated the ESP32 boards file from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3-RC1

4. Uploaded the Mac Address sketch and it worked correctly

@zander Thanks Ron.  Your "holding down the boot pin" comment made me come back and verify what I was doing.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander This is the board I purchased. 

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/devkits 

You'll see the S3 as the first board.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio GREAT. Now I have to get me some of them boards to play with. What is the dev github link, I haven't run across that.

BTW, which S3 board or boards do you have and what are you planning on doing with them if I may ask?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4