Running CameraWebServer on Elegoo esp32 with camera fails, returns error

31 Posts
3 Users
16 Likes
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

Hey there!

I purchased this kit (link contains download to code), and I'm trying to recode it from scratch, so I can better learn exactly how it's all working, and customize the software more extensively. 

I figured I'd start by trying to run CameraWebServer from the esp32 examples to simply establish a connection with the main communication board, and work out from there. 

However, I was unable to run CameraWebServer, and I'm not quite sure why...

I selected the board and defined it in the code according to what I found in the source code (linked above), so I'm confident that I have the board:

#define CAMERA_MODEL_M5STACK_WIDE // Has PSRAM

I'm not sure what else I might need to configure or understand to get this example working. Here's the error I'm getting:

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x36 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0030,len:1324
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:13508
load:0x40080400,len:3604
entry 0x400805f0

E (148) cam_hal: cam_dma_config(280): frame buffer malloc failed
E (148) cam_hal: cam_config(364): cam_dma_config failed
E (149) camera: Camera config failed with error 0xffffffff
Camera init failed with error 0xffffffff

Tl;dr: I've got some Elegoo version of an esp32 with a cam, and I'm trying to run a basic web server example, but I'm getting errors I don't understand. 

Fortune Favors the Bold

(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

Update: I'm now trying to run a simpler sketch, Simple Time, and that worked. So that leads me to believe it is a problem with interacting with the camera component of the esp32. 

I know the camera works because I have used it before. However, after beginning to create my own code, I can no longer easily revert to the factory settings to reconfirm the camera is functioning. 

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@leonardo1123 My first impression and educated guess is the board you are using has NO ram that can be used by the malloc(), that is the first error. I use ESP32-CAM boards for my cameras, works first time every time but as you probably know a bit of a pain to use due to the 2-sided design. Amazon recently came to the rescue with the following board.

"https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09M83D2NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"

Change the amazon.ca to whatever your country amazon domain name is.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@leonardo1123 

Just a wild assed guess, but try providing a better power supply. It may just be browning out when it tries to allocate the frame buffer.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander Gotcha, thanks! I'm planning on picking up one or two of those very soon. In the meantime, is there a different board I can select from the list, or any options I can tweak to make what I have do what I want it to?

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 Yes, camera component as in 'frame_buffer' and malloc is the standard C function to alloc a piece of memory. If there is NO or not enough ram, the malloc will fail and the camera has no place to store the image.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@will Gotcha! Yeah, right now I'm just powering it from my laptop. Unfortunately, I don't have a great way of supplying better power without unplugging it from my laptop, and then I'll lose the serial information like the IP of the webpage. 

Maybe I'll try Bluetooth serial...

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

Update: My exact esp32 is ESP32-D0WDQ6 Rev 1

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 I have only used the AI-Thinker brand of ESP32-CAM boards.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 Sorry, never heard of it.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 Write down the IP, it is extremely unlikely to change. Also run an ipscanner if in doubt. I test with a 9V battery and one of those breadboard power supplies like this

"https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L84QZTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1"

change the domain to whatever your country is.

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander Okay, so I've gotten SimpleTime and SimpleServer to work. With any luck, I can start poking around with the communication between the arduino and the esp32, and then come back to the camera part of the esp when my new esps arrive (that you suggested!).

Sooooo.... gonna leave this unsolved in case I randomly figure this out, but I'm going to stop actively pursuing the solution. Thanks for your help!

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 I don't see that model in my defines. My actual code snap is attached. Also notr I have added WiFiMgr so I no longer need the IP. If you want that , there is another small code snippet needed, let me know or see Bills video. Regarding power, do you have a RaspberryPi wall wart, any good quality USB charger? Once the sketch is uploaded, just swap power and hit the reset button.

Screen Shot 2022 05 03 at 15.57.51

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

(@zander)

Okay, so, I have attempted each of the possible definitions, and none of them get this esp32 variant to start a webserver.

They return two errors as specified in the comments, and listed in their entirety below:

malloc fail:

E (147) cam_hal: cam_dma_config(280): frame buffer malloc failed
E (147) cam_hal: cam_config(364): cam_dma_config failed
E (148) camera: Camera config failed with error 0xffffffff
Camera init failed with error 0xffffffff
no cam:

E (51) camera: Camera probe failed with error 0x105(ESP_ERR_NOT_FOUND)
Camera init failed with error 0x105

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 At this point I would assume the hardware is either incompatible or broken.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3