ESP32-CAM USB port not detected by Arduino IDE on Ubuntu Linux

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
mbogelund
(@mbogelund)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm stuck with getting the Arduino IDE on my Ubuntu laptop to detect my ESP32-CAM, and I hope you can help me.

It's the ESP32-CAM with USB "motherboard", I have it plugged into my laptop's USB port. When I try to compile a sketch and upload it I get an error saying

"A fatal error occurred: Could not open /dev/ttyACM0, the port doesn't exist
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2"

My troubleshooting so far:

• I know the USB cable is working, because it works with an Arduino Nano Every I have
  • I know it's the correct device (ttyACM0), because that's the device that my Nano Every shows up on when I connect it to that USB port.
  • I know the ESP32-CAM "motherboard" is detected, because lsusb gives me "Bus 001 Device 010: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter" when I connect it.
  • The ttyACM0 device only exists when I connect my Nano Every - it vanishes when I disconnect the Every and doesn't appear when I connect the ESP32-CAM

What can I try in order to make the Arduino IDE talk to my ESP32-CAM?

This topic was modified 3 months ago by mbogelund

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@mbogelund I assume you are holding the BOOT button down when you are uploading the sketch.

If you have a magnifying glass check the USB chip, it may be a CP2102 rather than a CH340. If so install that driver. I have at least a dozen of the esp32cam and MB boards, some require the boot button to be pressed during upload some do not. I think it's a function of what chip you have.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
mbogelund
(@mbogelund)
Topic starter  

@zander Yes, I've uploaded both with the button pressed and without pressing it.

I don't know how to install that particular driver on Linux.

ReplyQuote
mbogelund
(@mbogelund)
Topic starter  

@zander I've looked at the chip, and as far as I can see, it says CH340.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

Posted by: @mbogelund

@zander Yes, I've uploaded both with the button pressed and without pressing it.

I don't know how to install that particular driver on Linux.

Either do I , just google it.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@mbogelund Make sure the serial port is closed. Can you show me the IDE output just before the error message, just copy the last dozen lines or so.

ReplyQuote
mbogelund
(@mbogelund)
Topic starter  

I resolved it. the solution was quite simple, I'll put it here for reference.

Basically, I just had to remove support for Braille displays, as stated by this Ask Ubuntu Stack Exchange post:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1403705/dev-ttyusb0-not-present-in-ubuntu-22-04

I  simply had to do

sudo apt remove brltty

and now it works.

Thanks @zander for your suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@mbogelund I wonder how it got there in the first place.

ReplyQuote