Clear all

[Solved] Can't find ESP32 WiFi network from Android phone -- works from laptop

33 Posts
6 Users
15 Likes
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

Hey everyone! I'm playing around with the wonderful new Elegoo robot car V4 (now with an ESP32 camera module!)

I've managed to connect to the network from my PC and view the streaming video by going to the correct IP address. However, I am unable to find the network from my Android phone. 

I also live in an apartment, so I am inundated by other networks, so I've even tried manually adding it a few times, to no avail. 

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Leo

Fortune Favors the Bold

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Is it a web based interface? If so just plug the IP address into the url bar, it will be probably 192.168.x.x

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander It is, and that works from the computer, but only with limited functionality (i.e. viewing the camera stream, no control)

I can't even find the WiFi network on Android mobile, and therefore can't use the app they made for controlling the car. 🙁

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 No need to 'find it', I also have an esp32-cam, never connect anyway other than specifying the address in the bar. The thing you are talking about is for those who don't know the real address. As far as the rest of the GUI, I also had that issue but can't remember how I fixed it, sorry at 80 I have memory issues. I will try and remember but don't hold your breath. At least try the menu top left.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander So, the way the esp32-cam is currently set up is to host its own network (ELEGOO-4089D3A3C9C8). When I connect to that network from my computer and go to the correct IP address (which I know is 192.188.4.1), I see a live stream from the camera. But I am unable to connect to this network from my phone. 

I'm new to esp32, but I think I've come to learn that the esp32 can operate in multiple wifi modes. So without digging through the guts of the code (which I'm eager to do, just as soon as I get it working the "proper" way). 

So for the moment, I'm not exactly sure how to use the mobile app they developed to control the car, since from my computer all I can do is view the live stream, not control the car. 

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 Ok, so you have at least 2 problems.

1. Can't get the stream on android,

2. Can't control the car on anything.

Is that correct?

Also did you mean 192.168.4.1 192.188.4.1 is strange.

Yes the esp32 can operate in both modes. I have several of the cameras working and obviously the source code.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander thanks for your patience!

1. I can't get the stream on android, because -- based on the current configuration -- I'd need to connect to the WiFi network from my phone, but it's not showing up. 

2. Correct, I can use the IR remote, but not for the range I'd like. As far as I'm aware, there's no infrastructure provided by Elegoo for controlling the car from a computer. So the phone is my only hope for driving this car using it's own camera point of view. 

And yes, you're correct on the exact IP, I made a typo!

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@inq Thanks for joining in! 

1. This is a stock Elegoo product, like in DroneBot's video on the Elegoo smart car, this is just the newer version with the addition of an esp32-cam to control it from FPV. 

2. I connected to it (SoftAP I suppose), and then went to the proper IP to view the video stream, but there's no input available to control that car. 

3. Browser, chrome. 

4. I've tried it both with my computer connected and not. Restarted both devices, etc. 

5. I can definitely see both 2.4gHz and 5 networks, I live in an apartment and can see both of several neighbors. I don't know why I'm unable to see this network on my phone, when it's visible from my PC!

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 I am just trying to connect to one of my esp32-cams now, I am in a browser, nowhere near a network list

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander Here's what my instruction manual says. :/ Not sure how to do it your way, although it definitely seems to be the right way. To change that I'd have to get elbow-deep in the code, and I was hoping to just play around with the car for a bit yet tonight haha. 

20220430 200911

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

Update: I just tried again from a different Android device: no WiFi network showed up from the esp32. So:

• Computer: yes
  • Android phone: no
  • Android tablet: no

I don't have any more mobile/tablet devices, which I'd need to download and use the app. I get no benefit from being able to connect via my computer, but, I guess, I can...

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 Ok, it sounds like they 'simplified' the code for the kids. In that case since I am Apple I can't help you but I always found android connected easier than Apple. Did you try typing in the first few caharacters into a search bar in the wifi interface. I haven't seem android UI in a decade so don't know.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@leonardo1123 If the ssid is being broadcast, then all devices should work, it's probably that your pc is on a different (correct) sub-net? and non of the devices are, or you have security settings/software to block, remember you are setting up a public address, your phones have vpn? lot's of possibiities. This kind of stuff isn't my area of expertise, Inq if he is still around would be better able to help you. @will do you know this android networking?

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leonardo1123)
Tinkerer
Topic starter  

@zander I've actually attempted to connect to the network by pasting in the exact network name via the shared clipboard between my phone and PC.

There are two security options that don't require passwords: "None" and "Enhanced Open." I have tried connecting to the network, by its (correct) name, in both modes, several times, to no avail. 

Interesting in that, by simplifying it, they've made it too difficult for me to resolve without really digging in, and they simplified it so that the people who aren't able to "really dig in" wouldn't be required to...

I just wanna play with my new car. 🙁

Fortune Favors the Bold

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @zander

@leonardo1123 I

This kind of stuff isn't my area of expertise, Inq if he is still around would be better able to help you.

@will do you know this android networking?

No, I'm Apple/Mac only.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Leonardo1123 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3