Notifications
Clear all

ESP32-CAM and AM312 PIR sensor - newbie issues with circuit

23 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@hilldweller)

Posted by: @cuznerdexter

@hilldweller Maybe the esp32-cams are faulty.

Well you've got two down, one to go. Keep running little camera scripts until you are sure of the camera.

My only experience with an ESP32cam was load the example AP ( access point ) script which created something like 192.168.1.10 which when connected to via a browser produced a moving image, I recall it was not brilliant quality and a bit jerky.

I grab the ESP box, find camera already attached to a USB (FTDI?) lead. Connected 5V,GND,UnR,UOT and there is a jumper from GND to IO0 ( next to one another ).

I use camerawebserver, fails to compile, "lack of text space", I set flash to Huge APP. Compile, it loads then nothing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Failure is not an option - watch this space.

ReplyQuote
(@hilldweller)

Posted by: @hilldweller

Failure is not an option - watch this space.

Well (*&&^^%%$ !!!

I have two ESPcam boards. One with the usb mb, the other with an FTDI lead.

I got a load using the FTDI lead, it then repeatedly reset with BROWNOUT trip. I can understand the cheap FTDI (type) lead not providing enough current.

Eventually I back as far as Serial.println("Hello World"); plus try and flash the LED.

I have seen a single Hello World.

Worse, to download another script I have to unplug the USB lead otherwise it fails to connect.

Worse worse - I've never seen such a HUGE download as the simple web server script, I could make a cup of tea in the time it took. I've already said I to set the flash to HUGE APP to get it to compile.

Grabs a ESP32 module - the big 38 pin one - same HW script - and hello world is printed.

Grabs LED, plug into G4 - flash.

Plug LED into G33 - flash

OH BOY IS THIS ANNOYING !

ReplyQuote
(@hilldweller)

OH BOY IS THIS ANNOYING !

Well, I see a picture, in fact I see a whole camera control panel.

Here are the settings:

Board: ESP32dev module.

Huge APP

CAMERA_MODEL_AI_THINKER

Connection: FTDI lead but not 5V, 5V is from bench supply showing 100mA to 120mA. 921600b.

It's tricky to get download started, no spare gnd pins, so jabbing gnd+G0 with ballpoint.

I put 192.168.1.27:80 into Firefox to connect ( your addr will be different ).

Default picture is 400 x 296 - grim

Change to 1028 x 1024 - equally grim

Change to 640 x 480 - equally grim

It says it can do face recognition, I can't even recognise my own face.

So the only positive thing I can say about this camera is it's very cheap and it can take an external

aerial so I may use it without the camera if I get desperate for an ESP32.

I have an RPi camera in the Rpi box, when I last tried this I recall a decent picture and I've even seen number plate recognition done with one. And, most important, it just WORKED.

I'm going to lie down now. After putting loads of "things" in the ESP box.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@hilldweller Wow, a lot of mysteries here.

Worse, to download another script I have to unplug the USB lead otherwise it fails to connect.

First let's get some terminology right. I think you mean upload to the esp32. If you disconnect the USB, there is no power to the esp32 and no data connection. You really need to explain better as this is simply impossible.

Worse worse - I've never seen such a HUGE download as the simple web server script, I could make a cup of tea in the time it took. I've already said I to set the flash to HUGE APP to get it to compile.

Are you downloading a server app from the internet, or simply trying to run the example sketch?

Opening the example sketch takes a few seconds!, it is 148 lines. What sketch are you using, how many lines. Show me a screen print of the File select menu open where you select the Web Server.

Grabs LED, plug into G4 - flash.

Plug LED into G33 - flash

No idea what ^^^^ that means

Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 07.22.33
Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 07.23.31

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@hilldweller A couple things.

Board: ESP32dev module.

Huge APP

CAMERA_MODEL_AI_THINKER

Board MUST be a camera model, generally "AI Thinker ESP32-CAM".

Yes, these are 2MP cameras that cost maybe $0.50, what do you expect?

Facial recognition is very tricky, some boards work some don't. See attached screen grabs for comments on V4 re V3, and current status of the sample sketch. I haven't looked at the old sample in a long time and am pleasantly surprised to see that it has been recently 'improved'

Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 07.34.51
Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 07.35.31

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@hilldweller)

Posted by: @zander

@hilldweller You really need to explain better as this is simply impossible.

I think, given the constant negative posting by you - you did say to someone, part way though a development cycle "notify us us so we can close this thread", that my time in dronebot is over.

Naturally I will continue to enjoy youtube but I'll not be trying to put anything back into the system.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@hilldweller @cuznerdexter Here are a bunch of images that hopefully clear the air. I am using the

AI THINKER ESP32-CAM board mounted in an ESP32-CAM-MB. It is connected to my Apple MAC M1 by a single USB cable via a USB-C to USB2 adapter. I do NOT need to press the BOOT button to get the upload to work with this board and MB, some that I have from other suppliers I do need to press the button. Just try it and deal with it, do NOT be surprised if you need to try multiple times, maybe even quit the IDE, and who knows maybe even re-boot. It's a hobby, not PRO level.

The latest 2.0.6 version of the boards file is being used. They have changed the default board from

"AI THINKER" to a different board, you will need to change the sketch #defines to fix.

I got some results at higher resolutions but the images are cropped. I don't know why they are cropped but you can still evaluate the image. NOTE most handheld so picture quality is due to my hand shaking. The last full screen shot is at 1600x1200 and was supported.

Sketch used is the ESP32/Camera/CameraWebServer. It all works out of the box, just change SSID and PSWD and the camera defines.

IMG 7378
IMG 7380
IMG 7379
IMG 7377
1024x768
640x480
1280x1024
800x600
VID 1600x1200
1600x1200
1600x1200 2
VID2 1600x1200
Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 08.34.28

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

Posted by: @zander

@hilldweller You really need to explain better as this is simply impossible.

I think, given the constant negative posting by you - you did say to someone, part way though a development cycle "notify us us so we can close this thread", that my time in dronebot is over.

Naturally I will continue to enjoy youtube but I'll not be trying to put anything back into the system.

I have no idea who you are, I have not been conversing with anyone named @xxxxxxx

I am sorry you interpret my critiques and feedback as negative. I don't know any other way to help someone learn. I have been in a support role most of the 50+ years I have been involved with computers and have always been a leading provider of instruction.

The comment you mentioned re "notify us so we can close this thread" is standard advice usually given out after a solution is arrived at but the OP has neither come back to tell us it worked or that they need further help. It's quite common and 'normal' human behaviour to just move on once the problem is solved but it's helpful to get closure. I am sorry that bothers you, but I do not know what other words to use.

As to the quoted comment

You really need to explain better as this is simply impossible.

I can't find it so have no idea what the context is but how/why does that bother you, it's a simple statement but without the context it's hard to comment further.

EDIT I found the post you referenced re 'impossible' see attached screen shot.

To the best of my knowledge, if you disconnect the USB cable from a board the board then has no data or power, so therefore it's impossible to upload or run the board. Where is the misunderstanding?

Screenshot 2023 02 06 at 09.06.01

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2