Notifications
Clear all

Unhandled exception when initialising ESP32-CAM module

19 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to write a simple sketch that takes a picture using an ESP32-CAM module, when a sensor detects motion. I know the camera functionality works as I wrote a test script that takes a picture and then shuts down. I simply used this test script and added code for handling the interrupt. However, I'm getting an unhandled exception when it tries to initialise the camera:

15:43:38.319 -> Initialising camera
15:43:38.649 -> Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (LoadProhibited). Exception was unhandled.

I hate posting long code snippets because it's unfair to expect people to read through it all, but I'm confused by what's happening. Any help would be appreciated.

#include "esp_camera.h"
#include "Arduino.h"
#include "soc/soc.h"
#include "soc/rtc_cntl_reg.h"
#include "driver/rtc_io.h"

// Pin definition for CAMERA_MODEL_AI_THINKER
#define PWDN_GPIO_NUM     32
#define RESET_GPIO_NUM    -1
#define XCLK_GPIO_NUM      0
#define SIOD_GPIO_NUM     26
#define SIOC_GPIO_NUM     27

#define Y9_GPIO_NUM       35
#define Y8_GPIO_NUM       34
#define Y7_GPIO_NUM       39
#define Y6_GPIO_NUM       36
#define Y5_GPIO_NUM       21
#define Y4_GPIO_NUM       19
#define Y3_GPIO_NUM       18
#define Y2_GPIO_NUM        5
#define VSYNC_GPIO_NUM    25
#define HREF_GPIO_NUM     23
#define PCLK_GPIO_NUM     22

camera_config_t config;
int sensor_state = LOW;
volatile bool is_triggered = false;

void ICACHE_RAM_ATTR ISR_HANDLER() {
  is_triggered = true;
}

void loop_forever() {
  while (1) {
    delay(500);
    yield();
  }
}

void setup() {
  WRITE_PERI_REG(RTC_CNTL_BROWN_OUT_REG, 0); //disable brownout detector

Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.setDebugOutput(true);
  Serial.println();

config.ledc_channel = LEDC_CHANNEL_0;
  config.ledc_timer = LEDC_TIMER_0;
  config.pin_d0 = Y2_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d1 = Y3_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d2 = Y4_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d3 = Y5_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d4 = Y6_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d5 = Y7_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d6 = Y8_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_d7 = Y9_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_xclk = XCLK_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_pclk = PCLK_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_vsync = VSYNC_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_href = HREF_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_sscb_sda = SIOD_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_sscb_scl = SIOC_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_pwdn = PWDN_GPIO_NUM;
  config.pin_reset = RESET_GPIO_NUM;
  config.xclk_freq_hz = 20000000;
  config.pixel_format = PIXFORMAT_JPEG;

if (psramFound()) {
    config.frame_size = FRAMESIZE_UXGA; // FRAMESIZE_ + QVGA|CIF|VGA|SVGA|XGA|SXGA|UXGA
    config.jpeg_quality = 10;
    config.fb_count = 2;
  } else {
    config.frame_size = FRAMESIZE_SVGA;
    config.jpeg_quality = 12;
    config.fb_count = 1;
  }

pinMode(13, INPUT);
  attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(13), ISR_HANDLER, RISING);

}

void take_picture() {

// Init Camera
  esp_err_t err = esp_camera_init(&config);
  if (err != ESP_OK) {
    loop_forever();
  }

camera_fb_t * fb = NULL;

// Take Picture with Camera
  fb = esp_camera_fb_get();
  if (!fb) {
    loop_forever();
  }

esp_camera_fb_return(fb);

// Turns off the ESP32-CAM white on-board LED (flash) connected to GPIO 4
  pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4, LOW);
}

void loop() {
  if (is_triggered) {
    take_picture();
    is_triggered = false;
  }
}

MadMisha
(@madmisha)

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

However, I'm getting an unhandled exception when it tries to initialise the camera:

Can you give all the serial debug data leading up to this error?

This could mean it tries to access an empty pointer or a part of memory that you shouldn't have(Probably not on purpose). You are also dealing with PSRAM so maybe there is a problem there too. You could have also have just run out of RAM.

I also don't see how you are handling the interrupt. I would expect 

void handleInterrupt() {
ThingToDo; }

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

The interrupt is handled in the function ISR_HANDLER. I'll try to post the full trace back later. It's definitely trying to use a null pointer - I did some reading based on the output. Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Here's the full debug info:

Rebooting...
ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1216
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:9720
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40080400,len:6352
entry 0x400806b8
ISR Update
Initialising camera
Guru Meditation Error: Core  1 panic'ed (LoadProhibited). Exception was unhandled.
Core 1 register dump:
PC      : 0x400f50eb  PS      : 0x00060a33  A0      : 0x800eda17  A1      : 0x3ffb1ec0  
A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x3ffb8058  A4      : 0x00000001  A5      : 0x00000001  
A6      : 0x00060a20  A7      : 0x00000000  A8      : 0x800ed379  A9      : 0x3ffb1e90  
A10     : 0x02000000  A11     : 0x400ecf5c  A12     : 0x3ffb1ea8  A13     : 0x00000001  
A14     : 0x00060e20  A15     : 0x00000000  SAR     : 0x00000007  EXCCAUSE: 0x0000001c  
EXCVADDR: 0x00000000  LBEG    : 0x4000c46c  LEND    : 0x4000c477  LCOUNT  : 0x00000000  

Backtrace: 0x400f50eb:0x3ffb1ec0 0x400eda14:0x3ffb1ee0 0x400ef5f7:0x3ffb1f10 0x400ef767:0x3ffb1f40 0x400d152a:0x3ffb1f70 0x400d1593:0x3ffb1f90 0x400d2c8d:0x3ffb1fb0 0x4008ce2d:0x3ffb1fd0

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

// Init Camera 
if (err != ESP_OK) {
loop_forever(); }

That's not really handling it but I do not know what that function is for.

try:

if (err != ESP_OK) {
Serial.printf("Camera init failed with error 0x%x", err);
return;

I would also expect you to define the camera model as well but I don't see that either.

You should also look into your PSRAM. Confirm you have the space there and access to it. Remember that even though some boards come with an 8 MB chip, you only get 4MB. Documentation suggests there are ways to use the upper 4MB but only on WROVER-B. You can run this and have debug level set to verbose:

#include <Arduino.h>

void setup() {
log_d("Total heap: %d", ESP.getHeapSize());
log_d("Free heap: %d", ESP.getFreeHeap());
log_d("Total PSRAM: %d", ESP.getPsramSize());
log_d("Free PSRAM: %d", ESP.getFreePsram());
}

void loop() {}

I would say confirm your PSRAM is correct. There are instances where enabling PSRAM support can crash your board.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Thanks.

The loop_forever function simply loops to avoid hitting the same exception over and over again.

I have used that printf statement but it is never executed; the panic happens in the esp_camera_init function.

I'll add the extra logging you suggested; I'll see what it shows.

There's nothing in the docs that says I need to define the camera model; the CameraWebServer example expects the camera model to be defined, but that's primarily to setup the pin defines. My sketch includes the pin defines for the camera model following this comment line:

// Pin definition for CAMERA_MODEL_AI_THINKER

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Extra output, looks reasonable:

Total heap: 366600
Free heap: 340700
Total PSRAM: 4194252
Free PSRAM: 4194252

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I added this line to the setup function:

esp_log_level_set("*", ESP_LOG_VERBOSE);

I now see these errors in the Serial monitor:

Initialising camera
[E][sccb.c:154] SCCB_Write(): SCCB_Write Failed addr:0x30, reg:0xff, data:0x01, ret:-1
[E][sccb.c:154] SCCB_Write(): SCCB_Write Failed addr:0x30, reg:0x12, data:0x80, ret:-1
[E][camera.c:1049] camera_probe(): Detected camera not supported.
[E][camera.c:1249] esp_camera_init(): Camera probe failed with error 0x20004

I'll read up on these errors. I have a vague memory that some people have problems if they don't use a reliable 5V power supply. I'll use my DMM and see what the voltage is.

This is the ESP32-CAM I have:

https://www.universal-solder.ca/product/esp32-camera-kit-2mp-wifi-bluetooth-240mhz-dual-core/

Edit: Vin = 5.01V.

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

There's nothing in the docs that says I need to define the camera model; the CameraWebServer example expects the camera model to be defined, but that's primarily to setup the pin defines. My sketch includes the pin defines for the camera model following this comment line:

That is the example I loaded up to compare. I totally missed the section where you defined it. My bad.

Yeah, I would say brownout is likely the cause. If you are powering it from your computer because you are using the serial from there then that is likely. Power from external source and connect only TX/RX to an FTDI if you have one.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

The strange thing is, if I remove all non-camera related code, and program it to take a picture in the setup function, it works. Even if I don't change the pins that are connected or modify any wiring or connections. So I wonder if it's something to do with the pin (I've tried GPIO13 and GPIO15) the RCWL-0516 is connected to.

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

@yurkshirelad

How is the RCWL-0516 getting power? With the camera module alone with the ESP32, power delivery from your motherboard might be inadequate or just on the edge(intermittent brownouts) and then adding a bit more of a power draw would just make it worse. I would measure it on your multimeter but depending on your meter, it might not be quick enough to pick it up.

Or as a test and you don't have an FTDI available, merge your code with the wifi version and test with an external power supply you know you can trust. If everything works including the sensor, you have a solution.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I don't have an external 5V power supply. The RCWL-0516 is connected to an Arduino Uno, which is serving as my "bench power supply" for sensors. 🤣 

I'm trying to put together a 9V to 5V linear voltage regulator with an LM317T, but that'll be finished tomorrow. I'll see if it makes a difference if I use it to power the ESP32-CAM.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I built a basic linear voltage regulateor using an LM317T, and it puts out 5.06V. I powered the ESP32-CAM with this "power supply" but it still crashes with the same excepntion. Maybe it's because of the pin I'm using for the sensor.

I also tried powering the ESP32-CAM with 3.3V from the FTDI (right acronym?) and that still fails with the same exception.

I'll have to re-write my code to not use interrupts; I have no idea how to fix this.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Perhaps the question should be "which pins aren't used by the camera or the micro-SD card and can be used by a motion sensor?".

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

@yurkshirelad

Here I am linking an article about interrupts for ESP32. handling-esp32-gpio-interrupts-tutorial

Note the section Interrupt Service Routine, it mentions how it should be done according to the ESP32 documentation. I suspect the way you are calling it might be the problem. I don't know very much about this. They linked the documentation that has a little more detail, I would check that out.

YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2