ESP Node32s

29 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@josiah430 Maybe one of the Windows experts here can help, that kind of nonsense is why I almost never use windows anymore. Shutting down, NOT restarting a time or two is sometimes the fix, but as I said I haven't used windows to any degree for the last 7 years after 35 years of that kind of nonsence.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Josiah
(@josiah430)
Topic starter  

@zander Yes this is what comes up.

ReplyQuote
Josiah
(@josiah430)
Topic starter  

@zander Okay, Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @josiah430,

That little yellow triangle in the Device Manager is definitely saying this is a problem. And this is a case where Google is probably your best friend!

--------------------

Essentially, you need to replace the device driver with one for the CP2102.

I just Googled "cp2102 driver windows 10", and following a link from the CP2102 manufacturer, Silicon Labs, came a link to Pololu, who seem to have written a nice explanation, albeit to support some of their products, but it will probably work for you as well.

A long time ago, I vaguely remember getting the driver from Silicon Labs, and it worked, but you might find the Pololu description of what to do helpful.

So I suggest you have a look at both links, and then try at least one of them.

Note, I also suggest you right-click the line in Control Panel with the yellow triangle, and select uninstall, before trying to load the new driver. The whole line should 'disappear'.

Having loaded the device driver software, if a new line (without a triangle!) hasn't appeared under Ports, try Activity--> Scan for hardware change  on Device Manager menu line, to force Windows to try to install the USB device.

-------------

Try this and see how you get on ... report your findings if it is still being awkward.

You need to get a new line, under Ports, probably including COM xx, where xx is a number, and definitely no yellow triangle.

Once you get it loaded, you may find the line in the Device Manager only appears whilst the device is plugged in - that is normal.

Best wishes, Dave

Josiah reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee Thanks for reminding me why I left windows.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi Ron @zander,

Curiously, the Pololu page also has links to MAC OS X versions of the drivers, with advice "We can assist with advanced technical issues, but most of our tech support staff does not use Macs, so basic support for Mac OS X is limited."

not that I am sure what hardware runs MAC OS X

And advice for Linux is just to make sure you are running latest distribution.

I offer no judgement.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee The hardware until recently was the same as your average windows PC. For the last few years of course Apple is making their own processors like many others are due to the availability of modern tools. MACOS comes with Rosetta that I think was first created by the company Jobs founded after he was fired by Apple so I can run both old Intel processor code as well as the new Mac Silicon. Of course the native Mac Silicon software runs faster, but I do not notice anything as my new Mac is an M3 or 3rd generation of the Mac silicon. Apple has even more powerful chips for the very high end machines used by musicians and artists which is their traditional market segment. I am an amateur photographer but that represents close to $10k in equipment. Professionals can easily spend that much and more for just one lens. It takes a lot of CPU and GPU power plus a good bit of RAM. I only have 16GB and have never experienced any negative performance, but more serious photo processors could easily have 32, 64, 128GB and even more especially for video which I don't do at this time.

Since OSX10 the Mac has been using BSD Unix with an Apple made GUI. I can run terminal Unix commands just like on a Raspberry Pi or any other *nix system.

I don't recall ever downloading a USB driver, and I don't normally keep installers, in fact MACOS prompts me to delete them when installed due to the reliability of Mac's and the use of Time Machine. I often think I should start keeping those files, but so far too lazy to change.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee I am now seeing the following in my PM section. Maybe it's time at least some of us share a Discord thing (not really a fan but choices???) or what about github?

Screenshot 2024 04 19 at 22.51.00

Josiah reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee I am off to bed, I am old.

ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)

@josiah430 go to device manger uninstall usb port restart pc leave usb device in pc on restart.

if this doesn't work go back in to device manger untick each one at bottom and untick power end tab.

restart pc

If you have another esp32 board try this to see if you get same results make you ide Arduino  select the correct com port and board see if it shows up.

Please look up this on youtube as i did it worked for me but there more option to if if doesn't work .

ill find a good video on the subject if your still having trouble. 

good luck

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by videogame95

Josiah reacted
ReplyQuote
Josiah
(@josiah430)
Topic starter  

@videogame95 Sorry, I do not know where the boxes that need unticked are.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Josiah

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @josiah430,

Did you get anywhere with the links to Silicon Labs and Pololu I sent?

If you got stuck, try posting what you found, or where you hit a new problem, as you might get a more specific answer.

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Josiah
(@josiah430)
Topic starter  

@davee @videogame95 @zander Thank you all for the help, once I installed the drivers it worked perfectly!

DaveE and Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)

if your running windows 10 go to your start button left hand side using your mouse click your left mouse button,

the list of devices comes up click device manager at the bottom your see universal serial bus control double kick

a list of USB device shows up go to the USB root hub USB (3.0) this should be at the bottom click on it your see

tabs along the top go to power management click the tab untick the small box do this to you USB root hub (3.0)

then restart you pc.  This is the same for windows 11  if find the time ill look up a good video to follow.

just go to YOUTUBE esp32 not showing in comport or Arduino IDE  how to fix .

Also you can uninstall them all windows will put them back on once you restart leave your eps32 in the computer.

Get back to me if this still doesn't work.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by videogame95

Josiah reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2