Clear all

RISC-V CH32V003

20 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
(@davee)

Hi @will & Ron @zander,

--------

To be clear, " re: Dave is using a garden variety USB converter", I am not using 'anything', in respect of this processor, just suggesting some places to look if anyone is interested, given that it is a recently expanding possibility to explore. I am not 'recommending' any product, nor actively testing this one at the moment.

But Will is basically correct in that I am referring to a 'general purpose' USB to serial logic card.

e.g. Many of you will be familiar with Bill's excellent video of proragamming the ESP32 CAM which follows this route. https://dronebotworkshop.com/esp32-cam-intro/

--------

Arduino (and others) often supply a USB socket with their microcontroller boards, which in theory at least, makes it an easy plug and play, to get development started.

But many microcontrollers don't need USB when they have been 'developed' into a product, so there is a fair amount of 'stuff' on the board that can be discarded, once the program has been developed and installed. Hence, for 'minimal' boards, it makes sense to split the USB functionality onto its own board, and maybe use that to program several or even many 'processor only' boards.

(Note that the total circuit with USB board 'hand wired' to the processor board is usually about the same as the equivalent combined board.)

Of course, splitting these functions into two boards is likely to introduce more issues of compatibility, chance of miswiring, etc. and it is completely reasonable to decide that you don't want to go down this road. Again it is down to your choices.

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@davee 

I was referring to the video's creator Dave Jones (EEVBLOG) not davee.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @will,

Apologies .. the danger of being a Dave ... especially when things start going wrong ... you never know whether your 'the Dave' in firing line!

I hope the message still makes sense!

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@mathpi Ok, Now I understand what you are trying to do (I think). I would bet quite a bit that it is a CH340 since that is the company that makes it.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@mathpi Are you aware of the Github repo for it? They also had a different IDE, but it is 404 now so no ideas there although PlatformIO and VScode seem like a possible solution.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2