Notifications
Clear all

make a new video on Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040?

58 Posts
11 Users
23 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@inq YES, business as usual, only coins and bills that are worn out will be replaced.

At least in Canada, the process for coinage will take a couple years. The first step is emailing about 350 artists asking for new coin designs. If you want to know the entire process it is laid out at https://www.mint.ca/en/discover/faces-of-the-monarch/king-charles-effigy

It will take at least 20 years to wear out the existing coins.

Our polymer bills last roughly 10 years, our smallest bill the $5 is more like 8 years, the $10 about 11 years.

There is NO law in Canada requiring that we change our money see https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/world-verify/canada-not-required-change-money-currency-bills-coins-after-queen-elizabeth-death/536-9e813eae-7799-4110-91b7-33c9c6b2299d

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@ing

regarding the ESP32 S3 chip I came across the following bit of info from a post made by the Unexpected Maker who produces boards based on a variety of ESP32 chips, and I repost the relevant comment in case its of interest to you for your board purchases.

" The ESP32-S3 it quite a temperamental beast compared to the original ESP32 and even the ESP32-S2. It has radio issues when native USB is active and you are using wifi channels below Channel 9 (degraded TX strength due to native USB interference) - and it's also got secondary harmonics issues and can switch TX off when you try to use max strength on the radios."

I have an ESP32-S3 board and it seems OK, but I've not been testing it very much.  This is just a heads up and no doubt you will be guided by your own research.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Not sure if this is a good place for doing comparison and contrasts, but now that I have PiCow RP2040 and ESP32-S3, I thought I'd publish some results.  This is simply running Mathematics on the processors (+-*/).  Not WiFi or other I/O.  And of course... most projects don't really need to do Mathematics, but for the test/project in question, Mathematics is significant.  The RP2040 is clearly superior to the ESP8266, but the ESP32-S3 in one test was nearly 9x faster!

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/postid/41652/

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@inq

The ESP32-S3 has a FPU whereas the Pico does not, so the Pico wont be much good for intensive FP use.  

If you were just comparing the 'out of the box' performance of the Pico and ESP32-S3 then the performance of other processors is irrelevant of course, but if your project does need significant FP performance then I suggest you look at the Teensy4 or 4.1 processor which have a FPU that supports both 64 bit "double" and 32 bit "float" arithmetic.  The Teensy4 is roughly double the cost of the ESP32-S3 but if performance is of essence to your project then it may be worthwhile.

If its of any help to you I could run your test code on one of my Teensy boards and report on the performance, but I would expect it to be significantly faster than the ESP both due to its FPU and the Cortex-M7 processor chip it uses.   

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@byron The Teensy is a beast! I hope to order one soon, I just don't want to get it now as it would be a distraction.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@inq @zander

The inq program on the Teensy 4 outputs the following:

Start = 1572ms
Time = 170 ms

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Posted by: @byron

@inq @zander

The inq program on the Teensy 4 outputs the following:

Start = 1572ms
Time = 170 ms

As @zander said, it certainly is a beast!  Isn't that kind of like the RP2040, in the sense, that a lot of vendors put that chip on a board of their own making???  Does someone make one with WiFi capability?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq Couldn't a chip like an ESP01 be added, or do something like the new UNO R4 and add a esp32-s3 mini-1.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Posted by: @zander

@inq Couldn't a chip like an ESP01 be added, or do something like the new UNO R4 and add a esp32-s3 mini-1.

I believe that there is a new Arduino that has gone over to the dark side and included an ESP32-S3.  They seem to be trying to hide that fact.  It has a ublox sticker over it:  https://docs.arduino.cc/hardware/nano-esp32

Not sure why I'd pay 6x for the Arduino version though.

EDIT - Oh!  You mean to the Teensy board.  Basically, there is the WiFi chip that they slapped on the RP2040 Pico to get the PiCow.  I think Tennsy would be embarrassed to resort to having to include their competitor's chip on their board.  

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @inq

Does someone make one with WiFi capability?

Not to my knowledge, though the Teensy 4.1 does have ethernet.   For wifi I see some posts that folks use the jolly old Esp8266 (or ESP01) as a co-processor (much like we did for the rpi Pico before the Pico W came out).  I also see at least one post (Teensy Forum) on the wifi being obtained with a Adafruit Airlift ESP32 co-processor breakout board.

This post was modified 9 months ago by byron

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq I have on order the new Arduino UNU R4 WiFi. It uses a clearly labelled esp32-s3 Mini-1 chip, and as I am sure Bill will explain when he does his review, it can be programmed separately from the UNO. Also, I just ordered the new Nano ESP32. It does have a u-Blox label, but on the Arduino website and the u-Blox website, it clearly states the chip inside is an esp32-s3. My guess is in the case of the NANO, they(u-Blox) added something to the basic esp32-s3 chip and repackaged it, but nobody is trying to fool you.

Check this out

Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.30.31
Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.29.20

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq The PICOW uses the Infineon CYW43439 WiFi/BT chip. A quick look at the PICOW schematic will tell you this. See pic. Here is link to the Infineon site Infineon  I also am including some screen grabs from the PICO Datasheet. Looks like full disclosure to me. The first pic I forget where I got it but it might be from the product summary or similar.

Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.49.47
Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.52.11
Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.54.54
Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.55.38
Screenshot 2023 07 24 at 17.55.29

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4