17 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
17.2 K Views
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

So I'm not sure what to say, it worked perfectly. I didn't need to install any additional drivers.

I think the only driver issue that some have with the ESP32 is that some ESP32 boards have different serial chips (CH340 or CP210x are mentioned) and certainly older macs did not always have the correct driver installed.  I think I remember having to install the CP210x driver on my Mac at the time, but well before Big Sur was on the scene. 

You should be able so see the chip number code on your ESP32 board with a magnifying glass.  Big Sur and the M1 chip has the drivers for your chip, but maybe not for all serial chips.  

Of course it may be that the latest apple mac's have all the appropriate drivers and that @christine86 has a faulty chip or some other problem.

ReplyQuote
Christine86
(@christine86)
Topic starter  

@Dronebot-Workshop (Bill)

I picked up a USB C to USB Micro cable yesterday (the only one they had was 8" long, so now it dangles from the rear of my mac), & finally, something appeared to change in the 'Port' field. I am using the ESP board I included a photo of previously.

Screen Shot 2021 08 12 at 12.43.38 am

The mac pre-selected "/dev/cu.usbserial-0001", & I immediately loaded your 'blink' program (changing the LED pin No.to 13 for my board which has 13 next to the GND out pin)

IT WORKS, it's flashing like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holding down the "boot" key while compiling & uploading, & then pressing the "EN" key to start it, worked a treat. Now I'm just puzzled as to why this didn't work prior to my getting the new cable? I didn't need this for my Arduino board, but apparently the ESP32 board required a direct connection to the USB type C port.

Thank you for your help Bill, and all, I'm glad the solution was so trivial in the end,

Christine

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2