Microsoft Visual Studio Code w/ ESP-IDF Extension Usage

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Is anyone using Microsoft Visual Studio Code (VSC) with the ESP-IDF Extension to program the ESP32?  I was finding too many limitations of the Arduino Core wrapper (ACW) on the ESP32, so I started using VSC.  It took quite a while to get a successful build/upload of some of the examples. 

Now, I'm having the opposite problem from the ACW.  There are literally a thousand or two settings that can be modified.  They have a little tool-tip info button, but that is not nearly enough information for informed decisions.  The defaults seem to work for the examples which is a good start...

But once I get deep into a project and if I get a run time error that is not an obvious bug, I'll need to tuning these parameters.  Here are a small fraction of some of the parameters that we've never seen in the Arduino IDE's, dumbed-down settings:

• Compiler optimizations for speed/size w/ and w/o debugging
  • VDDSDIO LDO Voltage (have no clue)
  • Adjusting watchdog parameters
  • App rollback on OTA 😎 
  • Signing the binary image
  • Flash encryption
  • Custom definition of the partition table
  • Enabling C++ exceptions
  • Setting cache sizes, and associated ways???
  • Memory protection
  • Queue size
  • Event loop stack size
  • Main task stack size
  • Shared stack size
  • High resolution timer stack size
  • Brown out minimum voltage setting (down to 2.44V)
  • Running FreeRTOS on only one core... if wanting to run some totally alien process on the second core.
  • ... and a thousand others!

Question:  Has anyone seen a reference that goes into a detail on these parameters with the ramifications of each and possible guidance how to set them for various scenarios?

Thanks!

VBR,

Inq

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@Inq The only place I can think of is the IDF documentation. That is what they use instead of the IDE.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @zander

@Inq The only place I can think of is the IDF documentation. That is what they use instead of the IDE.

I've looked it over, but it reads more like a reference.  It may be the last resort.  

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote