InqPortal - An ESP8266 IoT, Application, Web Server

96 Posts
8 Users
23 Likes
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

@frogandtoad Yes, used the sample verbatim. The sensor is dead.

OK, got it 🙂

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@inq

Posted by: @frogandtoad
Posted by: @frogandtoad

Question... Do you expect to profit off your library advertisements here?

If not, then why is your code not open source?

If it isn't clear in many other places - It is free!  It will always remain free.  It is also royalty free if someone would use it in a product.  

Yes, but being free is totally different to being open-source, of which my question was actually referring to.  In your first post on this subject, I supported you posting some information around your library as follows:

Posted by: @inq

I'd like to add a tutorial to a library I've created and is available in the Arduino IDE Library Manager. 

1. I would like to see if there is any interest in it.
  2. Get feedback on how I'm presenting it... maybe I'm not reaching the right audience with the right message.
  3. Get feedback if someone has trouble with it.
  4. Get feedback on suggestions that would make it more usable for a particular need.

So...

1. Is that allowed?  I would understand if Bill wants to reserve tutorials for himself.  I have no intention of ever doing a video tutorial.  I certainly don't have his presence to do them.  
  2. If allowed, I didn't see an appropriate section.

Thanks.

VBR,

Inq

Posted by: @frogandtoad
I don't see any reason why not?

It sounds pretty interesting, so please let us know what you wish to discuss...

It was only in a follow up post that I saw, where you stated it was not open-source, which had since prompted my question to you.

Posted by: @inq
I don't know if Bill has even noticed my posts.  I hope I have not violated his trust of keeping out spammers which seems to be your mind-set that I am.  Maybe, he is still making the decision on whether I am a benefit or a liability.  If he contacts me and wants to let me know and put some constraints on how/what I write, I will follow his directives.  I do not want to get kicked off the forum...

Not at all... you assume wrong.  You stated your intentions in the following link, as well as other posts:

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/postid/27948/  

Is it then not fair to ask you the question, why are you hiding your code instead of allowing others to learn from it, or god forbid, even allowing others to provide feedback as to where you can improve your code?

Posted by: @inq
But for now... the buck stops here.  If someone finds a bug... they come to me to fix it.  If someone wants a capability, I have the right to choose if the extra binary size is worth the benefit to enough people. 

If someone doesn't want to use it because they can't easily look into the black-box, they are welcome to move to some other solution or write their own. 

This is the whole problem with closed source solutions... the creator dictates what the user can do with his library, and may well even break it in defiance of the user not wanting any changes.

Posted by: @inq
I'm not trying to hide it or say my I.P. is better than anything someone else can write.  In fact, I have always been glad to share how things are done in the library, and do offer code pieces with constructive people.

That's an extremely debatable view, especially when the code is unavailable for constructive criticism to begin with.  May I ask... how does one provide constructive criticism in such a case?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@inq I once did a project for a hardware vendor porting an open source product to their hardware. My experience with the open source community was very disappointing. First of all this one was not really open, only a few individuals could modify the source code. Secondly, the 'community' could be best described as chaos which shouldn't be a surprise but I was perhaps naive.Through a fluke of luck I actually got to meet in his place of work the author of the main book about the product and major player in the open source world. I was there to look at some of his corporate source code for porting to a different platform. Let's just say I was less than impressed meeting him in person. Bottom line, open source is a mixed bag, if you went that route your entire life would be consumed by it if it became popular. The experience I had was with a large player in the networking world but maybe a product with only a few thousand users wouldn't be so bad.

Honest question... if you're saying that about them... what do you think they were saying about you?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@frogandtoad I have no idea if/what they said about me. I was paid to do a job, I did it and moved on. I am simply pointing out what I observed.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad I have no idea if/what they said about me. I was paid to do a job, I did it and moved on. I am simply pointing out what I observed.

Is it possible they were "less impressed" with you?

The moral of the story is that they may have thought of you exactly what you thought of them, and also posted in other forums just as you did of them.

Please don't judge people on first impressions!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad My main job at IBM was to critique the work of about 300 other IS folks so I just normally do that. I don't know why critiquing is frowned upon, we read wine critiques, food critiques, any number of product recommendations that are critiques, we have whole web sites set up for product recommendations which is just another way of saying critique.

In this particular situation the company paying me decided to not go that route and ultimately did nothing and sold that part of the business so there was no work product of mine for them to be impressed by or not impressed by.

Some people get good results with first impressions, some do not. I don't think there is a rule/law that dictates they are universally good or bad.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad My main job at IBM was to critique the work of about 300 other IS folks so I just normally do that. I don't know why critiquing is frowned upon, we read wine critiques, food critiques, any number of product recommendations that are critiques, we have whole web sites set up for product recommendations which is just another way of saying critique.

In this particular situation the company paying me decided to not go that route and ultimately did nothing and sold that part of the business so there was no work product of mine for them to be impressed by or not impressed by.

Some people get good results with first impressions, some do not. I don't think there is a rule/law that dictates they are universally good or bad.

I understand that, but just pointing out that such public critique is very subjective and without evidence, and works in both directions.

ReplyQuote
(@zonnycom)

Hi I'm Theo from Australia,

Firstly I would like to apologize if I have posted this request for help in the wrong place or have included too much useless information, I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate any help with this issue.

I have been dabbling with the Arduino IDE and ESP8266 and ESP32 MCU's for a few years now and love the idea of InqPortal, but I cannot get it working. I have tried several Arduino IDE versions in normal and portable installations; the FirstPortal and other InqPortal example sketch's fail every time when I use the IDE Verify option. The X: drive references below are also a bit odd as my system has no drives mapped as X:; I have included the console feedback below in the hope that someone can advise me how to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

In file included from C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src/InqPortal.h:18,
from C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\FirstPortal\FirstPortal.ino:5:
C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src/Inq.h:94: warning: "ESS_HOST_SLEEP" redefined
94 | #define ESS_HOST_SLEEP -142
|
C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src/Inq.h:92: note: this is the location of the previous definition
92 | #define ESS_HOST_SLEEP -140
|
Library InqPortal has been declared precompiled:
Using precompiled library in C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src\esp8266
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src\esp8266\Inq.a(InqAP.cpp.o): in function `_ZN5InqAP12beginStationEv':
X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:551: undefined reference to `dhcpSoftAP'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:555: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer20set_dhcps_lease_timeEj'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:555: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer22set_dhcps_offer_optionEhPv'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:555: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer5beginEP7ip_info'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: C:\Users\Theo\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.8.19\portable\sketchbook\libraries\InqPortal\src\esp8266\Inq.a(InqAP.cpp.o): in function `_ZN5InqAP11beginSoftAPEv':
X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:443: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer20set_dhcps_lease_timeEj'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:449: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer22set_dhcps_offer_optionEhPv'
c:/users/theo/documents/arduino/arduino-1.8.19/portable/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/3.1.0-gcc10.3-e5f9fec/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/10.3.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: X:\libraries\Inq\src\InqPortal/InqAP.cpp:483: undefined reference to `_ZN10DhcpServer5beginEP7ip_info'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 mini (clone).  

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Zonnycom

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@zonnycom I don't want to seem like a forum cop, I understand it is hard to use so take my blunt language as translated instructions.

Step 1 post an introduction in the introductions forum. NO problems, just background so we know if you have years of programming experience or not, years of electronics experience or not.

Step 2 post a new topic in the Tools & Test Equipment sub-forum Tools. Maybe call the forum IDE woes.

When you do that showing us reams of messages that don't tell us anything is just wasting screen space. Show us your Preferences, your additional board setup (in preferences), what board you have selected and what port. Do all that with screen grabs.

You should also be using IDE 2 now.

I don't know anything about the portable operation.

Start with the Blink sketch first.

I just tried the InqPortal sketch and the library is broken. @inq needs to fix his code, fortunately Dennis is a member here so he will shortly see my tag and jump right on it. I suggest leaving this issue until he updates you, and move on to some other example to play with. Good luck

NOTE: I have also notified the author using links in the Library panel.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @zonnycom

Hi I'm Theo from Australia,

Firstly I would like to apologize if I have posted this request for help in the wrong place or have included too much useless information, I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate any help with this issue.

I have been dabbling with the Arduino IDE and ESP8266 and ESP32 MCU's for a few years now and love the idea of InqPortal, but I cannot get it working. I have tried several Arduino IDE versions in normal and portable installations; the FirstPortal and other InqPortal example sketch's fail every time when I use the IDE Verify option. The X: drive references below are also a bit odd as my system has no drives mapped as X:; I have included the console feedback below in the hope that someone can advise me how to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

Yes, I still haunt this forum occasionally and get notices for this thread.  And yes, this is a good place for helping you.  That way if anyone else has troubles, what we address with your issues might help them as well. 

First off, I know its working as I'm using it at this very moment on this project - https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/postid/38536/

There is one outstanding bug (that I know of) that the JavaScript powers-that-be have deprecated a statement I was using.  Current Chrome and Edge browser are broken.  It keeps you from uploading files to the InqPortal server.  I fixed it last week, but have been testing it.  However, the rest of the InqPortal should certainly compile and work.  I'll have it up on the Arduino library site by the time you get that far and need it.

I'm assuming you follow all the instructions and fully configured the ESP8266 libraries as specified in this listing???  Of course it will not work if you didn't.

https://inqonthat.com/arduino-ide-configuration-for-windows/https://inqonthat.com/arduino-ide-configuration-for-windows/

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq That doesn't help with 

/libraries/InqPortal/src/Inq.h:94: warning: "ESS_HOST_SLEEP" redefined
94 | #define ESS_HOST_SLEEP -142

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

I'm also assuming you're using the latest IDE.  I don't use the new 2.0 Arduino IDE, and I don't think that is the issue, but I've wanted to try it out anyway, so I'm  now downloading and trying the install procedure above using it.  Will report back soon.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

@zander, maybe so... but it doesn't explain why my environment works fine and yours doesn't.  Do diligence demands I know why its not working and how you got to that point... NOT just how to fix it.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq FYI @zonnycom Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was helping new user Theo with his error and decided to replicate what he was doing to show him it works. I was shocked to find out it does NOT compile without the error I posted. As I have as I am sure many others have successfully compiled that sketch several times I was surprised. He is using something called the portable installation while I am using the normal one. IDE is not relevant, the IDE is simply a wrapper around the CLI GCC command. 

I can easily explain why your environment works and mine doesn't, you are the developer and your path contents are very likely different. Not here to throw shade, I was just trying to help a noob when I saw the same error in my attempt after successfully doing that several times over the last year or so. I gave you the module, line #, and variable, I can't be more helpful than that.

If I am misunderstanding a compiler error message it wouldn't be the first or last time but it's not common. Additionally, I think Theo has other issues as well, but let's resolve the one issue we probably have in common.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

I've recreated it by...

1. Creating a new user on my computer.
  2. Followed all the steps in the configuration linked above.
  3. Downloaded the Arduino IDE 2.0.4
  4. It no longer will do a "portable" version in that it now places files all over the machine instead of in the portable folder like the 1.8.x versions did. 
  5. I tested blink on an Uno - fine.
  6. Installed the new ESP8266 library.  3.1.1
  7. The Patch step (in my configuration page) is no longer necessary.  
  8. I tested the blink on a ESP8266 Wemos D1 Mini - fine
  9. Did the sketch at - https://inqonthat.com/inqportal-the-three-line-promise/
  10. It fails as you describe.
  11. I went back to my normal development environment and upgraded the ESP8266 library from 3.0.2 to this newest one 3.1.1.
  12. It fails as you describe.

I found two issues.  Both are a result of the newer version of the ESP8266 library 3.1.1.

(1) The first one is certainly my bad.  There is a duplication of #define in Inq.h as described in the error.  Apparently the ESP8266 library has a more strict setting for the compiler and it found the extra line while the old version ignores the line:

(92) #define ESS_HOST_SLEEP          -140

It did and will not cause problems in compiled code.  It is simply ignored.

(2) Apparently they have deprecated some some functions and/or libraries.  This will take more time to unravel and find out what was changed.  Their site does not seem to show an update history of what has been added or fixed making that more problematic.  

TO FIX

Both issues are fixed by:

1. Reverting to the 3.0.2 ESP8266 library... library manager, find the ESP8266 entry and at the lower left is a drop down to select previous builds.  Select 3.0.2.
  2. Be aware after reverting, that you'll need to apply the Patch as described in - https://inqonthat.com/arduino-ide-configuration-for-windows/#Patch .  Also, be aware that if you are using the 2.x IDE, it no longer supports "portable" installs.  It works, but it does not honor keeping all files in the portable folder.  It places them in the AppData folder under your login user.  

Let me know if you have any troubles.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7