InqPortal - An ESP8266 IoT, Application, Web Server

96 Posts
8 Users
23 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@inq I am glad you figured it out. I have no idea about 'portable' anytime somebody tries to explain it to me I end up at 'what is the problem you are trying to solve?' The redefine error stops the upload, and with ALL warnings on a few more things show up but as you said the board libs changed. I am not actively working with 8266 so I won't bother to revert.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @zander

I have no idea about 'portable' anytime somebody tries to explain it to me I end up at 'what is the problem you are trying to solve?'

It seems like I recall you use Mac.  Unfortunately in the Windows world most programs are installed.  The files all over your system... in Program Files, AppData, ApplicationData, Windows, common's folders or even in some hidden proprietary folder - so people can't steal their program.  They make it impossible by obfuscation.  Many also use the Registry for storing configuration or INI files or again something proprietary.  

With the Arduino Portable method, EVERYTHING is in the folder you chose.  EVERYTHING!  You can zip it up and transfer it to another machine and it will be exactly the same.  

The second reason that got me started using it was even more important.  I teach students that can't afford a computer, but can use the public libraries computers or are students at the local community college that use the campus computers.  In both cases, they can't load the non portable version on the computer.  They don't have Admin rights.  This way they can put the entire IDE with ESP8266 libraries on a USB thumb drive and plug it in and be programming at any public computer.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@inq OK, good explanation. Since I was there I can tell you the original intent was to put certain files in certain folders. Unfortunately, the free market developers did not adhere to that and we ended up with the mess we have today. TBH, your description sounds a little exaggerated but probably not enough to make a difference for your students. I am getting a new mini Win box in a few days, so I can test things out.

The last part of your explanation is critical, that is the only sensible way to do it. I assume you and the students know there is an entire ecosystem of portable apps. I used to play there occasionally and the selection of apps is huge.

For those keeping track, yes, my new workbench will have a Mac, Win, Raspbian box. No rest for the wicked!

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @zonnycom

Hi I'm Theo from Australia,

Hi Theo in Australia,

I appreciate you taking the time to try it out and mainly to let me know there was an issue.  Many people (including myself) am unlikely to even bother if it can't handle the sample problems it proports to do.  In my case, I've never gotten a response from anyone that could fix a problem.  Like really... is Microsoft going to fix about twenty bugs I face every day that used to work in previous versions of Windows, Excel and Word?  Nah!  That's just stupid talk.  

Anyway, the fix (above) if you're not needing the newest features of ESP8266 v3.1.1 is to revert to 3.0.2 of their library.  And I have no idea what needed fixing or features added to it.  Maybe you do???

I have published version 5.3.2 of InqPortal.  It usually takes about an hour or two for the Italians to update the Arduino libraries.  You will need it to fix the JavaScript deprecation that causes uploading of files to the InqPortal server to fail.  And I did take out the duplicate #define described above that you ran into; but, it does not address the functions that the ESP8266 library deprecated out from under me.

Let me know how your getting along and if you're able to go through the micro tutorial at https://inqonthat.com/inqportal-the-three-line-promise/

Any feedback, stumbling block or finding something unclear would help me and anyone else going through it.  It was a little hard for me to write those pages being the expert... I know which button to press. 😉 

Just double checked... Arduino Library Manger is still showing 5.3.1.  Probably be there by the time its daylight there!

Good luck,

Inq

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

ReplyQuote
(@zonnycom)

@inq, Thank you very very very much, you recommendations regarding reverting back to Board Manager option ESP8266 v 3.0.2 and InqPortal v 5.3.2 update resolved the problem;  and I have confirmed "The Three Line Promise" and FirstPortal sketches now work like a charm. I'm looking forward to integrating InqPortal functionality into some of my projects to give them a more professional look, feel and flexible functionality that is now available to me.

Thank you again, your prompt efforts and expert advice is greatly appreciated.

I would also like to thank anyone else that may have provided advice and contributed to the resolution of this problem.

Sincerely, Theo, AKA ZonnyCom 

Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

New InqPortal 5.4.0 library

InqPortal has been updated to 5.4.0.  This update has no new features, but simply permits the latest version of the ESP8266 Boards library 3.1.X to be used.  No more nagging.  It also no longer requires the Patch!  One API related to DHCP had been deprecated, there is no replacement.  Even without it, I've not seen any ramifications in my testing.  Please let me know if you run into any bad behavior.  I've also updated and streamlined the development environment installation instructions https://inqonthat.com/arduino-ide-configuration-for-windows/  and removed all references throughout the website about the patching.  5.4.0 is now available on the Arduino IDE library manager and will nag you to upgrade if you use the 2.1.x IDE. 🤣

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7