Notifications
Clear all

Raspberry Pi 4 and Arducam B0371C

37 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@billfm)
Topic starter  

Typed the code, libcamera still, Raspberry Pi replies, "ERROR: ***no cameras available. The ribbon cable is correct. The camera is new. The software was new from the Arducam Site. Can one of you help? Thanks.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@billfm Not without a lot of information.

What model Pi,

What camera,

Picture (close up) of camera cable in the camera slot.

What OS

What camera software.

Show us your config data related to camera.

What exactly does 

Typed the code, libcamera still,

mean. Are you saying at the command prompt you entered "libcamera still"?

You do understand that there was a HUGE change in camera support recently so making sure you are running the right OS with the right software is critical.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

That error means that most likely the camera ribbon is upside down or poorly inserted.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@billfm)
Topic starter  

@zander It is a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. The camera is Arducam B0371C.

IMG 0378
IMG 0376
IMG 0377

The Arducam is new (3 days). The ribbon shows the blue plastic tab on the audio port.

ReplyQuote
(@billfm)
Topic starter  

@zander I forgot to mention that I went to the Arducam site and copied the code in the program in the Raspberry Pi. The code accepted it on the Pi but it didn't find the camera. Is there a way to find out if the software is a problem or is it a problem with the ribbon cable?

ReplyQuote
(@rolbrand)

Hello everybody,

I started working with the Raspberry Pi Camera V3. It uses the libcamera-library and tutorials are rare. Finally I found https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-camera-module-3/

Look at his commands, the work for me.

Try for testing: libcamera-hello

The RaspiCam shows me an image. 

In his blog there are a lot of excellent commands.

Good luck and Regards,

Roland 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@billfm What version of OS are you running, bullseye or bookworm.

The terminal command you want is libcamera-hello, but mine also fails, what works is raspistill -d. Maybe libcamera is old and raspi* is new?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@rolbrand libcamera-hello gives me an error. What version of OS are you using, did you configure a camera, did you install (apt) some software?

ReplyQuote
(@rolbrand)

@zander 

What I found out the last DAYS !!!!:

- libcamera is the newer version; raspi.. still etc... is older and does not work with the model 3

- I have installed the latest Raspian OS bookworm full version (included desktop environment) on SD and Raspi 4 with the raspi imager

- the library libcamera is included in this OS (I needed nothing to install)

- I installed the RaspiCam Module 3 on the Raspi

- entering the commands

libcamera-hello 

or 

libcamera-hello -t 0

in the terminal -> Voila !!!!

Regards,

Roland 

ReplyQuote
(@billfm)
Topic starter  

@rolbrand Thank you Roland. I watched the video and it was helpful but I couldn't make the Arducam work. I tried "libcamera-hello" but it returned: "ERROR: ***no cameras available***". There are three problems: 1. the camera is not working, 2. the ribbon cable is incorrect, and 3. the software is incorrect. I think it is the software but don't know how to fix it.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@rolbrand FYI @billfm You say docs are hard to find but in the link you provided it says

The documentation is, as usual, comprehensive and easy to understand and the whole experiment required me to update the Raspberry Pi OS image (Bullseye) connect the camera and reboot the SBC.

Switching over between V2.1, HQ and V3 was also trouble-free. In my experiments, I used libcamera (leaving rpicam and legacy camera in the rearview mirror) – and to use another Pi Camera Module only required a board reboot to get it to work. Within minutes, I was taking pictures, controlling autofocus manually and recording short test videos – all via SSH. It’s the greatest strength of the components released by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I imagine he is referring to the RaspberryPi Documentation website. The camera section is at HERE and documentation on the entire Pi is just a couple  pages higher in the tree, starting at  HERE  Also, Arducam has a nice WiKi at HERE  that link is sort of in the middle of things, just navigate up/down the tree for the info

ReplyQuote
(@rolbrand)

@billfm 

I'm very sorry to have no solution.

I just can tell you that I sent the camera back to my seller, because I thougt it was defect, but it wasn't. I just did not know how to work with libcamera.

Meanwhile I can stream RTSP and the next 20 hours will be spent to integrate into home assistant :-))

What I tried:

Check with the terminal, if camera can be found

ls /dev/video*

v4l2-ctl -V

Regards,

Roland 

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rolbrand)

@ron

Thank you very much.

I'm a chemist, so IT-english is hard for me :-))

ReplyQuote
(@billfm)
Topic starter  

@zander I used the standard OS from Raspberry Pi site - Raspberry Pi OS with desktop and recommended software December 5th 2023/System: 64-bit, Kernel version: 6.1, Debian version: 12 (bookworm), Size: 2.732MB, Show SHA256 file integrity hash:, Release notes.

How do you install: "the latest Raspian OS bookworm full version (included desktop environment) on SD and Raspi 4 with the raspi imager - the library libcamera is included in this OS (I needed nothing to install)- I installed the RaspiCam Module 3 on the Raspi?"

I am a complete neophyte with Raspberry Pi. 

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@billfm I have asked several times for the version of OS and what software you are using. Have you tried the command raspistill -d that will tell you if the cable is connected.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3