101 Posts
6 Users
30 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@frogandtoad LOL 🙂

Any day I can put a smile on your face is a good day for me.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq Understood. I will take Cool.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

Source for "button" or "flat" top 18650 Li-Ion

I am guilty, "I clicked solved!" since I thought ... !"

Maybe I was incorrect?  amazon, eBay, Alibaba, ? I have a wide selection of Chinese products from which to choose.  I do have an account, and have had it for years, on AliExpress.com (Alibaba) that I had forgotten about it.

With all the input, I guess I will have to lay-my-money-down as cautiously as possible and personally learn by the tried-and-true approach:  Trial-and-Mistake  --  bummer.

At least I have a few ground rules on the 18650 that illuded me previously:  Width & Length (the naming nomenclature); chemistry (no clue); keep the advertised mAh around 3500; insert butt-first into socket; do NOT under any circumstances pound a nail through the cell walls (no shorting either); and lastly (maybe not?) only purchase "protected" button top!

This is gonn'a be a challenge and the future success of my search is rather dismal using what I have learned.

Being naive and buying the Eilong 9900 mAh TR18650 3.7v Li-Ion, when they were available, has the hair on the back of my neck doing someting.  These particularly branded Li-Ion have illuminated my path.  They have flown with me.  They are used in my toys. And, they do sommer-salts, often, when being put on and taken off the Tenergy charger.

At the moment, correct me if I am blowing (I was going to use CA can't; so ... ) similar California (CA) smoke (actual or implied):  This product is made with stuff the state of California has determined causes reproductive harm (or something like that?)!  In the case of the 18650:  The 18650 is made with inferior (suspicious) materials and may be falsy advertised - cavet emptor (SP)!

I wonder if there is an equivalent in Alkaline or Ni-Cad; or, maybe made with mercury.  Just thinking.

I really do appreciate all the thoughts and comments - especially on "safety!"

吉姆 | 짐 | ジム | Джим | ဂျင်မ် ਜਿੰਮ | Pīšlis | জিম | រមមមមុយ

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@darup Do NOT install butt first. Install the button top first. I just made this mistake during a careless moment a couple weeks ago. What happens is as the battery slides down the contact the exposed -ve case touches first then the +ve button touches and instant short circuit!

I just ordered 10 from Alibaba of the Panasonic 3400mAh cells. These are the same ones used to build bigger battery packs. Some may still be made in Japan, but I think most of the production has moved elsewhere in Asia BUT NOT China. 

EDIT forgot link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003682817101.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.24611802rLD15p

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@zander What the "Hey"  I'll sign-on tomorrow and give an order a try.  THANKS!

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@zander 

must of moved the stuff.  maybe the new link is:

"https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20220502233710&SearchText=panasonic+18650+battery&spm=a2g0o.productlist.1000002.0"

Would you please confirm this is the new link.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Posted by: @darup

At the moment, correct me if I am blowing (I was going to use CA can't; so ... ) similar California (CA) smoke (actual or implied):  This product is made with stuff the state of California has determined causes reproductive harm (or something like that?)! 

As all areas of the country have their preconceived beliefs about other parts of the country...

We here in THE South... have our concerns about California.  They put labels on things that we wouldn't have thought of doing.  Personally - I believe as long as you don't put those 18650s in places for reproductive health, you should be OK.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

Ron and Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@darup No, the link I gave you is correct, I just tried it again.

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@inq Ya think ... ?  Probably best leave that where it is!

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@zander okay? I'll give'er a go again.  I was peeking around eBay.  Look'n if there was a significant difference in choices.  Maybe I'm blind?  I read the same, discounting "tweeked" words.  I am going to have to ask @inq which vendor (based on the identified specification criteria) cause I'm not seeing it.  Could be I'm just tired, too?

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@zander It keeps kicking me into Human Hair Wigs!  And that ain't no joke!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@darup What do you think it means if when I click it I end up at the battery page and you end up elsewhere.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Apparently one of you is using the wrong finger to click with 🙂

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
darup
(@darup)
Topic starter  

@zander

if I do a search on "item/1005003682817101.html" I get this.

Report Item. Links. Related Search. battery hy 18650 battery 18650 cb sanyo sa 18650 battery lithium ur 18650 battery panasonic 18650 battery japan loumen panasonic battery battery ncr18650b 18650 batterie panasonic pcs lj2006 battery 18650 panasonic 18650 link tab 18650 panasonic rechargeable battery 800 18650.

which looks like the link in your note.  Then, when I click on the link, above, the search found, I return to the Wigs.
It is like I am doomed:  never to find a reliable source for 18650!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@darup Try another browser

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7