problem compiling to Basic.ino/WiFiManager esp32

88 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@douwebakker Delete the 2nd and 3rd mentioned libraries, especially the 3rd. Actually delete all 3 and re-install from the following link https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager click the green code button then click download zip. Now back in the IDE click Sketch/Include Library/Add .ZIP library (see pic)

Screenshot 2022 10 27 at 11.12.38

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander I deleted the all the library’s.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker ok, see my prev post, get the lib from github again and install etc etc see 

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/postid/35004/

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander

thank you, i'll get back to it tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker ok

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

@frogandtoad Strange I see the multiple libraries messages all the time. Always works for me.

Permissions is an issue if the user is running as root and thus modifies a file/dir he should not be touching.

Yes that is the library and is the first in his concatenation followed by a dupe due to that is how git gives it to him but he doesn't know how to deal with it. The 3rd is suspect.

As I said, I compiled for his board with the one correct library just fine as did Dave.

I'm not sure why you think permissions have anything to do with it?  You either have permission or you don't, and I'm pretty sure that there would be a relevant permissions error message, alerting you to that effect.

Part of the "first" error message states:

"EspClass' has no member named 'getChipModel'"

Given this message, along with the multiple libraries detected error, it seems clear to me that the IDE is not picking up the correct library the user desires!

There could be a different reasons for this, from bad IDE design, to bad library programming!

I provided a link in my previous message as to which library offered the specific functionality - At the end of the day, people do have to do some reading to achieve their goals.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander ,This is in my library now. It seems insuffient to me.

Douwe

afbeelding

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @douwebakker,

Ron (@zander) is much more of expert on libraries, but I'll add my observations.

------------

I am running Arduino 2.0 on Ubuntu Linux .. I assume Windows is almost the same.

My Arduino 2.0 (now 2.01) has evolved over the last few months, but I think the main steps which would change the installation are:

• installed Arduino 2.0 onto Ubuntu Linux, using the procedure detailed on the Arduino download website, including a brief test usage to check it was working (The latter may have automatically triggered a further part of the installation procedure ... I recoomend doing it before proceeding!)
  •  
  • Added the GitHub ESP address into "preferences" page
  •  
  • Used menu Tools--> Board -->Board Manager to find and install "esp32  by Expressive Systems"
  •  
  • Plus, I may have added a few (I guess less than 5) 'official' libraries using the menu
    • Sketch-->Include Library-->Manage Libraries to get to LIBRARY MANAGER for a point and click install
  •  
  • Very recently, it did an automatic update to version 2.01 ... I haven't used it enough to notice a substantial difference.

-----------------------------------

I now have about 30 directories in the libraries folder you are showing, including WiFiManager.

Unlike you, there NO directories with "ESP" in the name in this folder

To find the ESP directories,  I go back up a level to the "Arduino" root folder which has a total of three folders .. libraries, hardware and sketches

• libraries I have just discussed
  • sketches is my default root for my own designs
  • hardware (full) branch looks as shown below:

Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32/< folder with 7 directories and about 10 files>

The folder names are cores  docs libraries package tests tools variants

-------------------------------------

Sorry, I don't know what you have done, but it looks like your installation is very confused.

My approach would be to start a fresh installation of Arduino 2.0, possibly in a new folder ("Arduino2" maybe) using instructions on:

https://docs.arduino.cc/software/ide-v2/tutorials/getting-started/ide-v2-downloading-and-installing

(although the Windows screenshots look very out-of-date)

------------

I am using Linux instead of Windows, but I presume the resulting installation will be very similar.

Good luck and best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad Permissions is an issue as you and I have seen when a newbie user starts trying to manually install libraries in the CORE dirs. When I look at my standard user those folders are not visible so I can't mess with them. Most folks use default user that is root.

I am not saying this is the case here, I simply entioned that historically it has beeen.

Multiple libs by itself is not an issue, I get it all the time. He has -master in addition to the usual lib. I tested with that and get a clean compile.

Yes the correct lib is as you linked and is what he has 2 copies of as mentioned.

At this point we still do not know what is wrong but getting rid of that 3rd similar lib is a start.

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker The WiFiManager is correct, I don't recognize the other two. Are you working on any other projects, if not delete the other two. Normally I would expect more but they will get sorted out eventually.

To be clear, this is your personal library located beneath your sketchbook in preferences, correct?

Here are screen snaps of my preferences and my dir structure

Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 08.18.25
Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 08.19.33

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee The CORE dirs are in a different place but other than that right on. If you use a non root id you will not even see the CORE dirs as in see attached pics of root and non root folder structures. The first pic is a 'standard' or non root non admin user, notice that there is NO library dir in the user home dir whereas it is in the root user plus a bunch more.

NOTE: It is NOT a requirement that you run non-root, but for newbies it does prevent finger mistakes.

Screenshot 2022 10 27 at 3.24.03 PM
Screenshot 2022 10 27 at 15.17.11

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Show me your preferences pane

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander Hi Ron, i can't. I removed the IDE from the computer en wil installed it again.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Ok, once you fill out all the needed info in the preferences pane do a screen grab to show us. I will have follow up instructions, don't do anything without being told.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker What's happening, it takes only a minute or two to do the install, what exactly are you doing? When you can, start talking to me via Private Message.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6