4 Users
3 Likes
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander

afbeelding
afbeelding

Her are the settings. I can't vind that other overview.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@douwebakker This is where you get the IDE start at www.arduino.cc click software, click windows 10 or newer. once the exe has downloaded click to install like normal. Now fill out preferences and show us. Now go run the blink sketch. Did it work?

Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 09.08.10
Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 09.08.33
Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 09.09.46

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
My personal scorecard is now 1 PC hardware fix (circa 1982), 1 open source fix (at age 82), and 2 zero day bugs in a major OS.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

When i start the IDE there is instantly an error.

afbeelding

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker I only support English, so either change or I can't help. Here is what you need to set in preferences. The only thing that might be different is the Sketchbook path. Make all other settings IDENTICAL. The 2nd pic is the board URL's, you can leave off the last one if you are not currently working with the zZPi PICO or PICOW. Here are the first 2 that you can copy/paste.

https://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json

Show me your FULL preferences pane after switching it to English and filled out like this.

Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 09.19.12
Screenshot 2022 10 28 at 09.19.27

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
My personal scorecard is now 1 PC hardware fix (circa 1982), 1 open source fix (at age 82), and 2 zero day bugs in a major OS.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker First of all wait for the index pkg to finish downloading. Second, why have you loaded that sketch? Just open a new sketch window, then kill the other sketch window, now load the sample wifimanager sketch and compile. IF it fails show me the RED error msg at the end, the ENTIRE msg as it may scroll right.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Why is that sketch loaded? ESPEasyUploaderMega.ino ???????????

Clearly a sketch for the Arduino MEGA board, a member of the ESPEasy family.

ALSO, if you just re-installed, why is there ANY sketch loaded.

Something is messed up in your install. Not sure I can help you.

See if you can find a local person who is knowledgable enough in this to fix your computer.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi Ron @zander,

re:

The CORE dirs are in a different place but other than that right on. If you use a non root id you will not even see the CORE dirs as in see attached pics of root and non root folder structures. The first pic is a 'standard' or non root non admin user, notice that there is NO library dir in the user home dir whereas it is in the root user plus a bunch more.

NOTE: It is NOT a requirement that you run non-root, but for newbies it does prevent finger mistakes.

For Linux, I don't run as "root" ... I run as me "dave", member of group "dave"... and I only use sudo when I have to, which (I am 99% sure) excludes everything to do with Arduino installation and running.

• My installation followed the instructions on the Arduino site ... which are quite different to either Windows or Apple.
    •  
  • The entire Arduino IDE, including libraries, cores, etc. are in a single folder tree
    •  
  • The entire "original Arduino" library, including a subdirectory called "cores", is installed as a folder tree Arduino/libraries/.....
    •  
  • The "main" Espressive ESP32 library, which is actually installed by the Board Manager, installs in the Arduino tree, but as a single folder tree (under "hardware" not "libraries") called "espressif" in "Arduino/hardware/espressif/...."
    •  
  • I think the location and name this folder tree can be changed during the installation, but mine is in my "Home" directory and called "Arduino", which are almost certainly the default choices.
    •  
  • Every file in this tree is assigned to "dave" owner and "dave" group.
    •  
  • Every file and directory has read and write access to the "owner" ... "group" and "others" rights are more varied. (The variations did not appear to be logical or systematic.)

-----------

Sorry, but as the "owner" has full rights over every file, I cannot see how it can prevent finger mistakes, for the common case (in our situation) that the "owner" is also the user. 

Apple appears to be quite different in this respect.

Of course, Windows has traditionally defaulted towards giving admin rights to the user, but I don't know what the Arduino installation does.

--------

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee When I get time I will fire up my Pi and see how it handles the organization/perms. At the moment covid has slowed me down.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee One thing to check is what is your numerical values for UID and GID. I think the ls cmd has an option to display that instead of dave/dave. I think I read somewhere that now *nix distros can and do use the installer ID as root but not positive.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi Ron @zander,

When I get time I will fire up my Pi and see how it handles the organization/perms. At the moment covid has slowed me down.

No problem to me ... I was only replying to try to provide you with a broader picture. It is pretty clear Apple and Linux implementations of Arduino have diverged at the detail level, and my guess is Windows will have found a third way!!!

Take great care of yourself and RECOVER FROM COVID ... that is PRIORITY ONE!!

Best wishes my friend, Dave

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander Sorry, it took me a while to respond but I was eating.

afbeelding
afbeelding

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee It may be that each distro does it differently. Standards and discipline are not exactly *nix hallmarks.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander The easy uploader  Mega.ino appears spontaneously. I have not given up anything.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander OK, I understand  you can't help me any further.

So fahr, thank you so much for your effort.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Remove the 2nd entry so that your additional boards looks like the following. Watch the progress message block lower right to make sure the download is done.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json
https://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6