problem compiling to Basic.ino/WiFiManager esp32

88 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@davee I think I have confused you or perhaps didn't explain enough. We still have no idea what the actual error is, it's NOT the presence of 3 nearly identical libraries. If you look at the first few lines of the error output it is clear something is missing as the msg says 'string blahblah with no closing '.  I am too tired to continue theorizing about the underlying error so will wait for the OP to fix his libraries, then if/when he gets an error to properly copy/paste the error log (just 4 to 6 lines) for the entire width of data.

As far as permissions, you are forgetting YOU are not installing, you are causing an executable to run with it's permissions to update files/folders. It's called owner-access.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

DaveE reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker After deleting the unneeded libraries

Not used: E:\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\WiFiManager-master
Not used: E:\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\WhareHauoraWiFiManager-0.15.0

do another compile in IDE 2. At the end click the button called 'Copy Error Msgs'. Then open a text file and paste the errors. zip it up and include it via 'Attach Files' to the reply to this msg.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi Ron @zander,

As for not having found the OP's problem .. I wasn't really confused  ... I had the same conclusion .. ie it probably wasn't going to be fixed by deleting the second and third directories.

And I agree it never helps when you only get half an error message, etc. .. as you well know, sometimes we don't get any of the error message ...or even what the program is ...

As for 'owner access' comment .. I didn't recognise a combination of being able to update but not install.. do you have a link to a simple explanation please?

Thanks and best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@davee Probably not simple, but here is a unix discussion of 'Special' permissions. HERE

The basic concept is the executable file has an owner assigned via chown of whatever the distro calls it's root user. The root user is the user with the numeric values of (0,0) in the UID and GID IIRC. Then via chmod the permissions are set to owner is -rws group is r-x all is r-x. 

I have a special reason to know how this works that I will tell you in a PM later.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

Try a different board. Maybe just use generic esp32 dev board which will compile, then upload and see if it works. The error appears to be board related and I don't have details as to how to fix but try what I said first.

Ron, the error messages indicate that it is not the board!

Given the error messages, it looks more like multiple libraries with the same name were installed and thus detected, and the Arduino IDE environment (not the best :-)), cannot distinguish which is the right one!

I doubt permissions have anything to do with this... imo, it clearly looks like a wrong library in place, and that needs to be resolved, by removing and or installing!

BTW: - A quick search shows that this library contains the relevant member functions to suit!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad Strange I see the multiple libraries messages all the time. Always works for me.

Permissions is an issue if the user is running as root and thus modifies a file/dir he should not be touching.

Yes that is the library and is the first in his concatenation followed by a dupe due to that is how git gives it to him but he doesn't know how to deal with it. The 3rd is suspect.

As I said, I compiled for his board with the one correct library just fine as did Dave.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Thank you for putting in so much effort.

I"ve made a mess of it now.

I programmed the sketch in an ESP8266 and that went without any problems.

It just wont work with the ESP-Wroom-32.

Perhaps my knowledge of the English language is also the reason that I do not understand everything that is written.

I also reinstalled de IDE but keep getting errors but different from the previous one.

Douwe

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Time to format the drive and install the last backup before the first time you installed the IDE.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander, you mean the whole hard drive?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker When you say 

I also reinstalled de IDE but keep getting errors but different from the previous one.

do you mean the compile errors are different, or the IDE install errors are different.

The problem will be fixed much faster if you use IDE 2 and the Copy Errors feature (see pic)

The compile log can be huge but the part we want is near the bottom. I used your sketch and removed the r from WiFiManager to produce the following error.

/private/var/folders/pg/mjb25hc97csf8q8j964tdfz80000gn/T/.arduinoIDE-unsaved2022927-35554-hhdxmm.zkd6r/Basic/Basic.ino: In function 'void setup()':
/private/var/folders/pg/mjb25hc97csf8q8j964tdfz80000gn/T/.arduinoIDE-unsaved2022927-35554-hhdxmm.zkd6r/Basic/Basic.ino:12:5: error: 'WiFiManage' was not declared in this scope
WiFiManage wm;
^~~~~~~~~~
/private/var/folders/pg/mjb25hc97csf8q8j964tdfz80000gn/T/.arduinoIDE-unsaved2022927-35554-hhdxmm.zkd6r/Basic/Basic.ino:12:5: note: suggested alternative: 'WiFiManager'
WiFiManage wm;
^~~~~~~~~~
WiFiManager
/private/var/folders/pg/mjb25hc97csf8q8j964tdfz80000gn/T/.arduinoIDE-unsaved2022927-35554-hhdxmm.zkd6r/Basic/Basic.ino:26:11: error: 'wm' was not declared in this scope
res = wm.autoConnect("AutoConnectAP","password"); // password protected ap
^~
/private/var/folders/pg/mjb25hc97csf8q8j964tdfz80000gn/T/.arduinoIDE-unsaved2022927-35554-hhdxmm.zkd6r/Basic/Basic.ino:26:11: note: suggested alternative: 'tm'
res = wm.autoConnect("AutoConnectAP","password"); // password protected ap
^~
tm

NOTE after that comes the following, AND IS NORMAL. Almost all sketches using WiFi will have the multiples message if you have multiple boards configured. I have virtuqally every board configured so I see it all the time and it is NEVER a problem. It's just there in case you mnessed up it acts as a flag to you.

Multiple libraries were found for "WiFi.h"
Used: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/WiFi
Not used: /Users/ronalexander/Documents/SourceCode/Arduino/libraries/WiFiEspAT
Using library WiFiManager at version 2.0.14-beta in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Documents/SourceCode/Arduino/libraries/WiFiManager
Using library WiFi at version 2.0.0 in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/WiFi
Using library Update at version 2.0.0 in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/Update
Using library WebServer at version 2.0.0 in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/WebServer
Using library DNSServer at version 2.0.0 in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/DNSServer
Using library FS at version 2.0.0 in folder: /Users/ronalexander/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/2.0.5/libraries/FS
exit status 1

Compilation error: 'WiFiManage' was not declared in this scope

Screenshot 2022 10 27 at 08.42.00

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker That was tongue-in-cheek, it will work, but you can fix a bad install with windows tools. It's been a while but the app inside control panel that you use to enable windows features IIRC is where you can uninstall stuff. If not, invest in a good uninstaller.

Once you do that (takes a minute) do a regular IDE2 install and report back EXACTLY what happened and if errors do a screen grab or use a cell phone but do NOT attempt to transcribe, I need the original screen.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker That was tongue-in-cheek, it will work, but you can fix a bad install with windows tools. It's been a while but the app inside control panel that you use to enable windows features IIRC is where you can uninstall stuff. If not, invest in a good uninstaller.

Once you do that (takes a minute) do a regular IDE2 install and report back EXACTLY what happened and if errors do a screen grab or use a cell phone but do NOT attempt to transcribe, I need the original screen.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Is there a problem, the uninstall should only take a minute.

You are the OP so are automatically subscribed. What is the problem?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@douwebakker Could you at least reply that you are getting these posts, because if you are not we have a big problem.

ReplyQuote
douwebakker
(@douwebakker)
Topic starter  

@zander

I received your last mail. I do not know what to do. Continue with it tomorrow

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6