Clear all

[Solved] Getting Started but need some guidance on ESP32

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Farah Haddad
(@fhaddad)
Topic starter  

Hello Forum, I just followed Bill's video for ESP32, and I have the NodeMCU ESP-32S. however, I have some issues, so here are my questions:

1- When I try to select a board, I get two options. Which one is the right one? The two options are "Node32s" and "NodeMCU-32s," what's the difference between them? 

2- According to Bill in the video, if I get a jibberish text on the serial monitor, I should press the reset button, which should sync. I did that, and it is not working; what's the issue, and how can I solve it?

Thank you.

Arduino IDE 24KCCXUGHo
Arduino IDE YnLIgChUyN

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @fhaddad

Hello Forum, I just followed Bill's video for ESP32, and I have the NodeMCU ESP-32S. however, I have some issues, so here are my questions:

1- When I try to select a board, I get two options. Which one is the right one? The two options are "Node32s" and "NodeMCU-32s," what's the difference between them? 

2- According to Bill in the video, if I get a jibberish text on the serial monitor, I should press the reset button, which should sync. I did that, and it is not working; what's the issue, and how can I solve it?

Thank you.

-- attachment is not available --
-- attachment is not available --

Sorry but this makes no sense.

The picture shows that you have 2 boards connected, one on COM3 and one on COM9. Pick one and see if it works, then try the other. I suspect both will work just fine.

As far as the gibberish, you also need to match the baud rate for the serial monitor to what is set in the sketch.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@fhaddad - If you disconnect the ESP32 do both COM3 and COM 9 disappear? If only one of them does, then this is the port that is actually active, the Arduino IDE often shows "phantom" ports.

By default, the ESP32 communicates at 115,200 bps, and that is generally what you should set your serial monitor to. If you define a different baud rate with the sketch, it will work, but you will get "gibberish" when the device first boots up. Assuming it boots successfully, the gibberish can be ignored, otherwise it is trying to tell you something!

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
Farah Haddad
(@fhaddad)
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop It worked fine thanks a lot Bill

ReplyQuote