ESP32 Woes

20 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@Inq I am assuming you did the following for the ESP8266. The nerds say it is not yet supported in IDE 2.x.x I tried it, but I have not got the right flavour of java installed yet.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/install-esp8266-nodemcu-littlefs-arduino/

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@Inq I can not get it installed on my Mac. Java will not install what is needed (javac). No clue why, but without it the LittleFS tool will not work since it is java based. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like.

Screenshot 2023 08 06 at 17.26.15

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @zander

@inq Are you sure? I thought they used IDF

That is why I'm trying out the Visual Studio Code option which is how Espressif developers build it.

ESP-IDF is their name for all their code.  They have setup installers for  it by itself to be used with an external editor and using a command line to do all the compiling OR using Eclipse or Visual Studio Code as merely the IDE to build projects.  At least in VSC, you install the VSC first and then it has a procedure to import all the compilers and library of ESP-IDF and configure the IDE for it.

@inq Hmm, mysterious how the boards entry is different. No idea why. Is that a typo re vers, latest is 2.1.1

No... I think we're talking about two different things.  I think you are talking about the Arduino IDE.  I use Arduino IDE 1.8.19... BUT... I am talking about the ESP32 Boards Library is at 2.0.11.  If you have to go into the board manager to find the version number.  I double checked.  ESP32 is at 2.0.11.

How to use PSRAM. https://thingpulse.com/esp32-how-to-use-psram/

I'll have to explore that sometime.  😎 

Don't mean to be a jerk, but are you sure you have PSRAM?

You're not!  🤣  It's a fair question especially since I didn't even know how/what to use if for.  I'm going by... 

This is the model I have ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N16R8 and this chart from https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32s3/hw-reference/esp32s3/user-guide-devkitc-1-v1.0.html

... says I have 16MB Flash and 8MB of PSRAM

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @byron

I presume its used the same as PSRAM on the Teensy 4 boards, large arrays etc.  This link mentions it and shows a simple use at the bottom of the linked page.  If you dig a bit I think you should find some more example arduino IDE based code examples for the Teensy and I assume it works the same on the ESP32's  (Never used it myself)

https://www.pjrc.com/store/psram.html

I admit I hadn't really started looking for it as I need the basics to work first before delving into the new stuff.  But I'll bookmark these things.  They sound like a great possibility for some things.

Thanks.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

@Inq I am assuming you did the following for the ESP8266. The nerds say it is not yet supported in IDE 2.x.x I tried it, but I have not got the right flavour of java installed yet.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/install-esp8266-nodemcu-littlefs-arduino/

At one time I did.  But early versions of LittleFS had issues and I finally wrote my own for InqPortal.  I've read that they have since fixed the issues I had troubles with and I was planning on using LittleFS when porting to the ESP32.  However, it seems like the LittleFS Github is near empty of information.  

Also, somewhere, I have a link to a new file uploader tool that work on all 3 automatically SPIFFS, LittleFS and FATFS.  Maybe all the effort has shifted to that tool and it may work on the the new 2.1.1. 

@Inq I can not get it installed on my Mac. Java will not install what is needed (javac). No clue why, but without it the LittleFS tool will not work since it is java based. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like.

Well... the tool is not really the issue.  My issue is that they don't seem to have a compile option that allows to use the full 16MB.  Something like 1MB code, 1MB OTA and 14MB SPIFFS/LittleFS.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2