Clear all

EDC: EduDroneController

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
jjs357
(@jjs357)
Topic starter  

For about a year now I have been working on an ESP32-based controller for the Tello family of drones to use in an educational setting.

Recently a blog post appeared that summarizes the project:

EDC Blog Post

The github project location is:

https://github.com/jsolderitsch/ESP32Controller

While you can build the controller from off-the-shelf components and a breadboard (there is an assembly video: EDC Assembly Video), I have a crude storefront where I can take orders for the breadboard kit (all parts included) and some PCB versions (see the blog post).

Not sure if I can post the store front link here.

A recent addition to the EDC is support for video game system gamepads: PS3, PS4 and Switch among others. This support comes from the Bluepad32 library that is actively under development.

EDC development so far has used the Arduino IDE (latest version 2.1.1).

Would love to correspond with folks who have similar interests and perhaps have done drone and ESP32 development work.

Jim

SampleControllerLayout

jjs357
(@jjs357)
Topic starter  

I just posted a project description for the EDC to the hackster.io site: https://www.hackster.io/jjs357/esp32-based-drone-controller-db079d

ReplyQuote
jjs357
(@jjs357)
Topic starter  

In case anyone might be interested, I now have a  version of this working with the new Arduino Nano ESP32 board. The MCU used there is an ESP32-S3 and that supports Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Most gamepads for video game systems only support Bluetooth classic. Recent XBox controllers do include BLE but they are expensive. So the EDC version for the Arduino Nano does not yet support gamepad flight but I am hopeful that it may in the near future.

Anyone know of cheaper gamepads that are known to support BLE?

ReplyQuote