Clear all

Esp32 camera crashing

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

Anybody ever have a problem with the esp32 camera crashing? I have gets a great picture but wont stay streaming.  I heard it may be a power issue. 

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@duce-robot it may be, but with so little info it's hard to say. look up 'brown out' in relation to esp32cam.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @duce-robot,

The ESP32-Cam does seem to have a dubious reputation with regard to power.

I have only done some quick experiments, and didn't see this problem. I did see some occasional 1 pixel high, random colour lines, which might have been power related, although I am inclined to suspect this is a timing issue ... or maybe I got a bad card?

However, I recall seeing multiple reports of power related issues on the web, as well as Bill's comments.

-----------------

Bill (@dronebot-workshop) has a section on the subject in his ESP32-CAM introductory video/blog. For the blog look for section "Resolving ESP32-CAM Power Issues" in https://dronebotworkshop.com/esp32-cam-intro/

I recall he also discusses the issue verbally in the accompanying video.

-----------------

On the web, there are suggestions of adding capacitors to the power input, at either or both, the input and output of the 5v to 3.3V voltage regulator. I am only noting that I saw some reports; I don't know how reliable they are, but if all else fails, Google or similar may be worth trying for some suggestions. A doubt I have is that the microcontroller is hiddden under the rectangular metal lid, so mounting capacitors by the regulator may be too far from where they are more likely to be needed ... 1 cm of wire/pcb track has enough inductance to make a lot of difference at the frequencies the ESP32 works.

I would start with trying different 5v power source, before playing with capacitors.

-----------------

So, sorry this is not a 'proper' answer .. I hope you can track it down.

Best wishes, Dave

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@duce-robot Good advice from Dave, but as someone who has more than a dozen esp32 cams I can tell you I no longer have a problem after switching to the esp32-MB boards. There are several vendors on Amazon and of course also on AliExpress where you can get them a lot cheaper. Here is one p[lace I got them before https://amz.run/7RWa

While USB2 is all you really need I should tell you I am using a Mac with ThunderBolt 4 (latest USB) ports that are capable of much more power. Another benefit is that some of these MB style boards do NOT require you to press the Program button. I have some that do, and some that don't. IIRC, it's the UART chip that determines it but I don;t know which is which and also do not know if it is listed on the selling sites. 

BTW, I have never had a problem since switching to the MB boards.

I bought on Amazon.ca for about $15 per board, and on Ali paid $70CDN / $50USD for 10.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote