Notifications
Clear all

D1 mini LED Matrix sign WifiManager problem

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@acestu)
Topic starter  

Hi guys, I have built an led matrix scrolling sign that when you power the D1 mini an IP address scrolls across the front and when you go to the address you can see the web page server and put your messages in to be displayed, now that all works well however when I unplug the sign take it to use in a different location with a different WIFI, when I plug it in it just does not do anything even when pressing the reset button, my question is do I need to change the code and if so how ?

Thanks

Stuart

HeliSteve
(@helisteve)

Hi Stuart. I am not a wifi expert by any means, but here's my $0.02 question. How does your system connect to your wifi? Can you share your code here? It will help people like me be able to help you. Thanks.

Gone Flying, Sailing, or Both..

ReplyQuote
(@acestu)
Topic starter  

Hi Steve, here is my code for Arduino IDE:

Thanks

Stuart

ReplyQuote
HeliSteve
(@helisteve)

@acestu Hi Stuart. Looking at your code, but unfortunately I am not familiar with the WiFiManager library. Bill has a good video explaining it. I am watching it now so I can hopefully help you. Ideally someone much smarter than me will chime in and help you. But I will keep trying to help until I cannot. Fingers crossed..

ReplyQuote
HeliSteve
(@helisteve)

Hi Stuart. So in watching Bill's video it seems you are missing the "WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);" command before invoking the wifiManager.autoConnect() statement. He also talks about doing a resetSettings() command if you have used the ESP module before. Maybe one or both of these commands could solve your problem. Also I notice you do not check the return value from wifiManager.autoConnect(). It may or may not help to know this.

I don't have any ESP8266's right now so I cannot test the above statements to know for sure. Maybe you can try and see if it works for you.

Steve 

ReplyQuote
(@acestu)
Topic starter  

Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping, do you have a link to the video please, I will have a look and see if I can understand it.

Thanks

Stuart

ReplyQuote
HeliSteve
(@helisteve)

Oopppss!! I misread the resetSettings() command. Seems if you run this command it will force the ESP to reset it's wifi info and force a new AP setup. So maybe you need to do that when you move to a new wifi location?.

ReplyQuote
(@acestu)
Topic starter  

Hi Steve,

does that mean that I have to reprogram it on a computer on the new network every time ?

Thanks

Stuart

ReplyQuote
HeliSteve
(@helisteve)

ReplyQuote
(@acestu)
Topic starter  

Thanks Steve

Stuart

ReplyQuote