Dual Boot Workstation - Windows 11 & Ubuntu 22.04

33 Posts
9 Users
14 Likes
DaveE
(@davee)
Prominent Member

Hi Ron @zander,

Looks like we are thinking along the same lines ... I have just been trying to point out what I see as the benefits and downsides of using Bitlocker ... if only because it seems to have higher profile than its predecessors as the 'norm' to enable, and I haven't seen anyone else question whether it is a good option for everyone. 

As a large proportion of those on the forum are now retired, and this thread is about a dual boot workstation which is less likely to travel or be stolen, than a laptop or phone, I thought it was worth mentioning, and particularly as MS appears to have demonstrated how it can result in unexpected data loss to the legitimate users.

In the past, when disk drives and Windows were both less reliable, I managed to recover family photo albums, etc. for a few friends and extended family, by temporarily transplanting their disk into my (dual-boot) PC,  using Linux, since Windows would not boot when the errant disk was also present. Had they used Bitlocker, that recovery would not have been possible.

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Famed Member

@davee Bitlocker has been around since Win 8.1 2007 I think. Unless you have genuine sensitive data like tax files AND you plan on taking the USB stick outside your house there is no need for bitlocker. Don't forget, you can use bitlocker on a separate data drive like a USB drive I THINK! Or use any of a number of security packages. I am pretty sure your last statement is incorrect. As long as you know the key for your bitlocker drive you are fine, the recent issue is some people have encrypted 14 years ago and forgotten about it. Unless they stored the key in their Msft account or some other known location then yes they have lost the entire disk.

"Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.” - G.S. Patton, Gen. USA
"Never wrestle with a pig....the pig loves it and you end up covered in mud..." anon

ReplyQuote
DaveE
(@davee)
Prominent Member

Hi Ron @zander,

Obviously, it is possible someone with the correct key might be able to read an intact disk.

And my experience predated, Bitlocker on Windows ... probably back in XP or Vista era .. so it is a hypothetical extension from the past.

These disks were from 'non tech' people on home PCs, who would probably have lost any record of keys.

Furthermore the disks themselves were not intact ... there were a large number of sector errors ... and the directory structure was badly broken.

Obviously, I didn't get everything back, but I think (from their reaction) I got nearly all of the photos.

We can only speculate what would have happened if they had been encrypted ... I suspect nothing, as the keys would have been lost.

If I had the keys, then my gut feeling is that there would have been harder to try to find the pieces ... but that may be my prejudice.

So whilst I completely agree with Bitlocker in appropriate circumstances, I am only questioning its value in other cases where it is more likely to cause failures and reduce performance, with little or no benefit.

And I doubt if my tax records would be of interest to anyone ... unless they were looking for a cheap laugh ... virtually all of my tax was paid at source, deducted by my employer!

We are actually in agreement!! Let's put this one to rest.

Best wishes and take care my friend. Dave

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3