Clear all

Arduino Nano 33 IoT Board

14 Posts
11 Users
2 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

The Arduino Nano 33 IoT is an advanced 32-bit version of the original Nano, with integrated Bluetooth, Wifi, RTC, and IMU.

Article with code: https://dronebotworkshop.com/arduino-nano-33-iot/

The workshop has returned with a look at the Arduino Nano 33 IoT board, a pin-for-pin low-voltage version of the original Arduino Nano board.

This powerful update to an old classic features a 32-bit SAMD21 microcontroller with an integrated Real Time Counter. Arduino has added WiFi, Bluetooth, and an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) to this little gem, making it ideal for remote control and IoT applications.

This board also lives up to its name, as it is compatible with the Arduino Cloud IoT services. We won’t be covering that today, however, as that's a subject for another video.

In this video, we will look at the Arduino Nano IoT board, and examine the similarities and differences between it and the original Nano.   We will set up the Arduino IDE, install some libraries, and give the board a test.

Here is what we will be doing today:

00:00 - Introduction

03:11 - Arduino Nano 33 IoT

09:22 - Arduino IDE Setup

14:01 - WiFi Scan

17:39 - WiFi Connect

19:42 - WiFi Real-Time Clock

24:34 - Accelerometer & Gyroscope

28:44 - Bluetooth Scan

31:52 - Bluetooth Central & Peripheral

39:01 - Conclusion

This is an easy board to work with, and we will be using it in a few IoT projects that you will be seeing very soon.

Hope you enjoy the video, which you can now see in 4K!

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

(@sj_h1)

Just finished watching this and it was excellent as usual. I am curios as to how to power this if you are not on USB. You mentioned that this device is not 5v tolerant and does not have a regulator on board. I would like to use a battery with this device.

ReplyQuote
(@niels-prosch)

Does anybody know how many external interrupt handlers I can hook up on Nano 33 Iot? I see from from the documentation that 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 13, A1, A5, A7 can be used. But I'm unsure if there is a one-to-one mapping from pins to interrupt handler.

Best Regards

Niels Prösch

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@dronebot-workshop

A good update on yet another new board, thanks. 👍    Almost immediately after I watched your video I got an email from arduino inviting me to buy a very similar board with a nano form factor, but this time based on the rpi 2040 chip but also including the wifi and bluetooth abilities.  

Man, its getting mighty confusing to decide what board to plump for when considering which to use for a project, or which to buy to play with.  Maybe you could consider a video that broadly shows some of the boards that you deem should be considered by hobby makers and puts your suggested boards into some sort of context.  You will not be able to cover all the boards of course, theres just too many, but your views on what you would use as an advanced player in the electronics, microcontroller and computer field would be of great interest to many I think. 😀  

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@sj_h1

It DOES have a regulator on board (an MPM3610), and you can power it using the VIN pin with a range of 4.5 to 21 volts.

But, keep in mind, the VUSB output, if jumpered, will only give 5-volts if it is powered by USB.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @byron

Maybe you could consider a video that broadly shows some of the boards that you deem should be considered by hobby makers and puts your suggested boards into some sort of context.  

That is an excellent idea, thanks for suggesting it. I've got a few others to "play with", including some 64-bit ones with cameras, and it is getting confusing to decide which one to use where.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

Was there actually a library named "Arduino RTCZero?"  I found one named just "RTCZero" that was already installed in my case, and interestingly enough was shown as version 1.6.0 while the "Install" button was greyed out and the highest version listed in the "Select version" dropdown was 1.5.3.

The text in the description said "For Arduino Zero, MKRZero, and MKR1000 only."  Should I assume that this is still the correct driver for the Arduino NANO 33 IoT?

Edited Update: If I had just completed watching the video and seen the code used I could have answered my own question!  DUH! 🤣 

SteveG

ReplyQuote
 rkv
(@rkv)

I was curious if this module has a deep sleep mode. It seems as though and IoT type microcontroller should have a sleep mode or very low power mode for remote battery operation.

ReplyQuote
Sean451
(@sean451)

Posted by: @rkv

I was curious if this module has a deep sleep mode. It seems as though and IoT type microcontroller should have a sleep mode or very low power mode for remote battery operation.

I haven't tried this yet, but it appears that there is a function that will put the module into the deep sleep.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/LowPowerDeepSleep

--->Sean

(◕(' 人 ') ◕)

ReplyQuote
(@maxli)

Thanks for sharing, this video is really great.

ReplyQuote
Nicholas
(@nicholas)

Thanks for your introduction to this board, Bill.  You've clearly demonstrated its capabilities with examples I can duplicate in my own workshop.

I thought Arduino were trying to one-up Espressif's ESP32 by calling this series "33".  Kinda petty, and I'm happy to find that Arduino chose the number to remind us that this is a 3.3V circuit.

ReplyQuote
TheOutlander
(@theoutlander)

@dronebot-workshop Once again, great video! Just enough information to make us dangerous and curious enough to get started on our own experiments!

Thanks!

"Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works." - Michael Hartung

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)

@codecage

Did you get the RTC to work consistently?  I am only getting the epoch about 20% of the time.  I get the NTP Unresponsive error (or something like that).

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@huckohio

I haven't really done enough with it to know for sure.  Have been sidetracked for some time on another project here at home.  Need to get back to playing with it and especially with Willy Nilly.

SteveG

ReplyQuote