SSD1306 OLED Issues with ESP32

35 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@fishbone Very weird. I wonder if you fried it?

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  

@zander doubtful.  I bought 2 of these oleds and they both do the same thing.  I didn't apply 5v to the other.  So I have tried 2 emc32s and 2 ssd 1306 oleds.  I've tried 0x3C and 0x3D.  I've tried a couple of different sketches.  I also added the library adafruitIO since one of the examples said I needed that.  I just purchased a new oled.  Maybe it is the manufacturer?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone As @will said, change the defines

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone Try one of the sample sketches in the IDE to at least prove the board is ok.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone The sketch you are using is for an Arduino, in this case it shouldn't matter, but it's worth a try, do you have an UNO?

ReplyQuote
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  
@zander I don't have an arduino...but I think you may be on to something.  I don't know that there isn't something I'm missing for esp32.  Also I reloaded the i2c scanner so the board is fine.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone The library has undergone a lot of change. Only the samples in the library which you will find under IDE/File/Examples/Adafruit SSD1306 should/can be used. Try the first one and both I2C samples.

Screenshot 2023 02 12 at 16.16.32

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone This may reassure you if you have a real ESP32, I am not sure what that board you have is.

Screenshot 2023 02 12 at 16.26.05

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone What is the version number of the 'Adafruit SSD1306' library? Include a screen grab of the library manager entry for search item 1306. Should look like the attached pic. It appears that the latest is 2.5.7, but the AUTOMATIC installer backed it out in favour of 2.5.6. I would stick with 2.5.6 until that proves incorrect.

Screenshot 2023 02 12 at 16.38.04

ReplyQuote
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  

@zander I'll do that and let you know.  I'm at a friend's watching the superbowl.

Mark

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone Ok, didn't realize it was that time of year.

ReplyQuote
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  

@zander o.k.  I loaded the I2C scanner and you can see it finds 2 devices .  The one at 0x3C is my oled, and 0x68 is my RTC.  See the monitor on the right side of my screen

Scanner

The Adafruit SSD1306 library I have is 2.5.7.  I will see if I can find 2.5.6.   I'm still new to PlatformIO, but I'll see what that does.

Mark

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone Use IDE 2 to select 2.5.6, then it will be available in PlatformIO as well.

ReplyQuote
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  

@zander o.k.  I rolled back to 2.5.6...no joy.  im running out of ideas.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@fishbone Have you tried using one of the Example sketches instead of the nerds?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3