Clear all

OTA for ESP32 on Arduino IOT Cloud

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
TBerryKev
(@tberrykev)
Topic starter  

Something I almost missed is that OTA updates for ESP32 boards is now available on Arduino IOT Cloud and Web Editor.  I've used it on two different projects.  No include files are necessary to get this to work.  It just works assuming you have compiled and uploaded your sketch since the feature was implemented.  I had one board that I wanted to make a small change to the coding.  Once I compiled and uploaded a sketch, OTA updates worked well.  Since it is in the back yard monitoring weather, this will be a welcome enhancement to updates.

I would have missed it if I hadn't happened to see the notice on the Arduino website.  Thought I would share.

-- Kevin

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @tberrykev

Something I almost missed is that OTA updates for ESP32 boards is now available on Arduino IOT Cloud and Web Editor.  I've used it on two different projects.  No include files are necessary to get this to work.  It just works assuming you have compiled and uploaded your sketch since the feature was implemented.  I had one board that I wanted to make a small change to the coding.  Once I compiled and uploaded a sketch, OTA updates worked well.  Since it is in the back yard monitoring weather, this will be a welcome enhancement to updates.

I would have missed it if I hadn't happened to see the notice on the Arduino website.  Thought I would share.

Can you extract the OTA code from the sketch and post it here as an example for those (99%) not using the cloud.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
TBerryKev
(@tberrykev)
Topic starter  

There is nothing to extract @zander.  What I was posting about was purely a new feature for IOT Cloud.  The code is unchanged from before.  It's all handled in the background.

Where you normally choose your port, if your board is not connect, it says OTA.  You just upload and it works.

This post was modified 1 year ago by TBerryKev

-- Kevin

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@tberrykev Too bad, it would be nice to have a sample of the OTA code for those of us not using the cloud (I have a plan but don't use it for several reasons). I think I know what you are talking about, I have noticed that extra port for a few months now, just didn't know I could actually use it.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
TBerryKev
(@tberrykev)
Topic starter  

@zander, if you're really interested in OTA for ESP32, I think Expressif has a more complicated solution that I haven't tried.  I can add links below to more information:

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/system/ota.html

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-at/en/latest/esp32/Compile_and_Develop/How_to_implement_OTA_update.html

Good luck.

-- Kevin

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@tberrykev It's not more complicated, it's how OTA is done. That code is obviously somehow hidden in the cloud apps and if I was using the cloud again I would take advantage of it. I found a sample procedure in one of my camera web server examples that I will probably copy, thanks anyway.

ReplyQuote