Notifications
Clear all

Debugging - esp32-prog Built-in JTAG for Some boards!

1 Posts
1 Users
2 Likes
(@fishbone)
Topic starter  

Being new to programming microcontrollers, I figured debugging would be similar to what it is in Microsoft Visual Studio where I could set breakpoints and watch windows on different variables...HA!  I was very disappointed to learn on microcontrollers, you often need a piece of HARDWARE like an esp-32 prog board or other JTAG device.  When I discovered this and contemplating whether or not to continue even trying to debug my code, a great person on the platformIO website pointed out to me that the newer esp-32 controllers, specifically the esp32-C3 and -S3 have built-in JTAG capability.  My board is a WEMOS lolin esp32-C3 pico and sure as heck, it has it built in.  Now, this is only on platformIO and a couple of other IDEs.  I also learned the hard way, to get it to work, you need to update the driver on the JTAG Serial device in Windows Device Manager.  See this post:

https://community.platformio.org/t/debugging-for-newbie-esp32-c3-on-windows-10-machine-solved/32106/15

Anyway, if this helps anybody...I'd like to pay it forward.  If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Fish

DaveE and Inq reacted