Notifications
Clear all

Rotary Encoder with ESP-32

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@espaviator)
Topic starter  

In Bill's latest email, he states "At one point, the remote control even had a rotary encoder on it. I learned the hard way that using a rotary encoder with an ESP32 isn’t as straightforward as you might think. More time lost!"

Can anyone expand on that?  I have a project that uses a few Arduinos and I'm consolidating it into a single ESP-32.  It will be a lot smaller and more powerful.  But I'm currently using a rotary encoder with the Arduino solution.  And it was very easy to incorporate.  I was expecting the same with the ESP-32.  Any advice would be appreciated!

(@hilldweller)

Posted by: @espaviator

I was expecting the same with the ESP-32.  Any advice would be appreciated!

I came unstuck about 30 years go in this way but it was using a 1MHz 6809 - interrupt on one phase and up/down off the other. It did work "most of the time" but if the encode got a jolt, it exceeded the ability of the 6809 to cope. The solution back then was a neat CMOS dedicated  encoder chip.

Even with the grunt of the 32, It does have a huge amount going on so I'd worry if the encode was monitoring a motor.

Thought: the Pi Pico could be a winner peripheral with it's dedicated input handles.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Brian

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

@bill,

In Bill's latest email, he states "At one point, the remote control even had a rotary encoder on it. I learned the hard way that using a rotary encoder with an ESP32 isn’t as straightforward as you might think. More time lost!"

Can anyone expand on that?  I have a project that uses a few Arduinos and I'm consolidating it into a single ESP-32.  It will be a lot smaller and more powerful.  But I'm currently using a rotary encoder with the Arduino solution.  And it was very easy to incorporate.  I was expecting the same with the ESP-32.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Bill, any insights?

Ron B

Ron Bentley
Creativity is an input to innovation and change is the output from innovation. Braden Kelley
A computer is a machine for constructing mappings from input to output. Michael Kirby
Through great input you get great output. RZA
Gauss is great but Euler rocks!!

ReplyQuote
Kids Taxi
(@kids-taxi)

@espaviator, @hilldweller, @ronbentley1

I've just got several ESP32's for my next (future) project and was going to ask questions later, however as the subject has been broached I may as well start asking now.

Was the issue interference from the motor causing problems or were there associated issues?

I noted from the link posted by Bill that the TTGO board comes with a display and an encoder.  Does this mean that board cannot be used for motor control.

As a side note my boards C3's were on Dev4 PCB's and require 2 standard breadboards side by side to fit on for experimentation.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @ronbentley1

@bill,

Hi Bill, any insights?

Ron B

I looked it up and the only member using bill as a handle has never posted nor replied. I'm thinking that the Bill referenced above should really be addressed to @dronebot-workshop. That's the Bill that creates the content.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

@will 

Thanks Will, that would explain why my past posts have gone unanswered!

Ron B

Ron Bentley
Creativity is an input to innovation and change is the output from innovation. Braden Kelley
A computer is a machine for constructing mappings from input to output. Michael Kirby

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronbentley1 

I hope you get the information you need.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

@dronebot-workshop

Posted by: @ronbentley1

@bill,

Hi Bill, any insights?

Ron B

Ron Bentley

ReplyQuote