Clear all

ESP32 GPIO Interrupts - need some help.

17 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
(@rebeljd)
Topic starter  

@davee 

I think your speculation supports my gut feeling that I'm asking the ESP32 to do something that it really can't.  I like the idea of your work around by using parallel inputs and attaching separate interrupts to them.  I'll give that a try later today when I get some time.  Real life has "interrupted" my hobby and I've some business to take care of.  

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
(@rebeljd)
Topic starter  

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for the help from all you.  You should have seen the smile on my face when I saw the number 400 on my serial monitor.  😀 .  Not sure if I tagged everyone properly so let me know how to do that if it helps.

I used Dave's work around using parallel inputs and it worked right away.  I haven't looked at the libraries yet, but I plan to.  However, since the ultimate application of this is to read linear scales (that have quadrature outputs) from a machine tool for absolute positioning, is it comforting to know exactly how the counts are derived versus using data from a library that I didn't write.  The libraries are likely just fine, but I know this code works as intended.  

I was obviously confusing the processer with what I was trying to do.  I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, and perhaps better ways, but this works fine for me now.  I learned a lot from this exercise, which is something I try to do each day.  

Here is the modified code I used.  It could certainly be optimized but it does illustrate the changes that allowed this scheme to work.   Channel A of the encoder is connected to pins 32 & 34, Channel B is connected to pins 33 & 35.  There are plenty of GPIO pins on the ESP32 so doubling up is not a problem from a hardware perspective.  

Thanks again for all the help.  This is an awesome forum.   

Jim

#define A1_pin 32  // ARise
#define B1_pin 33  // BRise
#define A2_pin 34  // AFall
#define B2_pin 35  // BFall

volatile long NSV = 0;  // Net Sum Value
int A1pin = 0;
int B1pin = 0;
int A2pin = 0;
int B2pin = 0;

void IRAM_ATTR Arise (){
B1pin = digitalRead(B1_pin);