Notifications
Clear all

SWARM M138 Modem

4 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@zapdos)
Topic starter  

Hello, this is my first time posting here. I don’t know how much information I need to present in a new content suggestion, but I have an idea for a product designed to be embedded into an IOT device. I was looking through the Space X website when I found a product branded under SWARM a company they acquired in 2021.

The idea behind this product and subsequent service is to allow communication from a device anywhere in the world through the SWARM M138 modem to one of the many SWARM satellites and back down to earth in a ground station location where it’s uploaded to the SWARM Hive and can be accessed. I find this topic to be very interesting in applications where internet access is limited, and I’ve already thought of a few applications where something like this could be used, and I was wondering if I could suggest a product highlight on this SWARM M138 modem.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@zapdos Sorry, I don't get it. What you are describing is normal operation. The trick is finding a 'free' access point. I just spent 5 years living on the west coast and there are hundreds or thousands of them there, but not so easy to find in the middle of the country. The Starlink system is of course the same idea, and maybe SWARM is a project name or a newer product.

What exactly about your description do you think is unique?

Just did a quick google and see it is LORA with 3 sats but 2 are side by side so really 2 in polar orbits. 

An annual Swarm data plan is required to utilize the Swarm network.

Have a look at 'the swiss guy', he works a lot with LORA.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Posted by: @zapdos

I was wondering if I could suggest a product highlight on this SWARM M138 modem.

Sorry, but as I don't have one of these modems, it would be impossible for me to write an article or create a video about it. But I will be doing a number of articles and videos about LoRa and LoRaWAN, while it's not satellite communications it's more along the lines of a hobbyist project.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

DaveE reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Posted by: @zander

@zapdos Sorry, I don't get it. What you are describing is normal operation. The trick is finding a 'free' access point. I just spent 5 years living on the west coast and there are hundreds or thousands of them there, but not so easy to find in the middle of the country. The Starlink system is of course the same idea, and maybe SWARM is a project name or a newer product.

What exactly about your description do you think is unique?

Just did a quick google and see it is LORA with 3 sats but 2 are side by side so really 2 in polar orbits. 

An annual Swarm data plan is required to utilize the Swarm network.

Have a look at 'the swiss guy', he works a lot with LORA.

I remember reading about this when SpaceX acquired the company and I remember it saying that it had extremely slow data speeds and low data limits, but as designed it was for transferring small, occasional packets, say... for a remote IoT sensor.  I assumed that SpaceX bought them to close it down or to upscale customers to a potential Starlink based offering.

Here is the link, https://swarm.space/products/ but I don't see anything about a price for the equipment OR the service.  It must be one of those niche markets, where if you have to ask about the price, you can't afford it.  

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote