@will Right. Here is what I get now with Bill's simple sketch

19:58:53.268 -> $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
19:58:53.306 -> $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
19:58:53.342 -> $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
19:58:53.379 -> $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
19:58:53.416 -> $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
19:58:53.416 -> $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64

Now I will try 3.3V

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Well it doesn't make a difference if it's 3.3 or 5v

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

Are you powering the GPS module from the Arduino's 3.3V pin ?

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will No, 5V, the board has  a VR

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

OK, I was just thinking about whether the Arduino could supply enough power or whether the module should be powered separately. 

Here's another site with an extremely simple sketch for the module you're using. I don't know whether you feel like testing any different sketches, but here it is ...

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/guide-to-neo-6m-gps-module-with-arduino/

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will I am getting some data but until I can go outside and point the antenna I won't know if it is any good. I will give it a try again sometime after 6 tomorrow when I get home.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Great, I bought one of his courses. he is nothing if not prolific. terrible at naming variables though.

I did change the test sketch I was using so that the serial was 9600, the soft serial was 9600 and the serial monitor was 9600. I am getting data but now think it's garbage since the gps led is not blinking.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Got it. I forgot the unit has been sitting for many months so the time for first fix is closer to an hour than a minute. Once I left it powered on and pointing at the sky it did it's cold start thing and now it is working fine.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

Yay 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will I got it working. I forgot that these boards came from China so probably had a last known location of China. The board would have to search a very large part of the world to 'locate' itself. It took a good hour or more but finally locked on. Now it starts producing data within seconds/minutes. These boards have a tiny battery to save last known location like most of them do. All good, marking solved

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

I'm just curious, now that you have it working (I presume outdoors), does it work at all inside ?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Absolutely, but it sits 4-6" from a window. I just randomly place the antenna facing up, did not consult a satellite position map and I am in a fairly well treed camp site. I am not sure if I will make any use of these units, but time will tell.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

Thanks for the info, I was kind toying with the idea of getting one to try but I live in a condo so having to put it outside is more "challenging".

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will If you have a window, it will work. I am trying to find an app to show you the location of satellites but no luck so far. Are you iPhone or android?

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@ronalex4203 

There's no rush, I tend to speculate for a year or more before I spring into inactivity 🙂 I don't even have a car, so I have absolutely no practical use for it, except curiosity and the willingness to deflate an already emaciated portfolio 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6