Clear all

Arduino IoT Cloud 2021 - Getting Started with Arduino & ESP32

48 Posts
14 Users
10 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

Learn to use Arduino's and ESP32 with the updated Arduino IoT Cloud.

The Internet of Things (IoT) can add a lot of convenience to our lives, with a myriad of connected devices available from hundreds of manufacturers. But it’s even more versatile when you can build your own IoT devices.

There are a few products that can assist you in creating your own IoT devices, like Blynk and IBM Node-Red. Today we will look at another one of these products, the Arduino IoT Cloud.

The Arduino IoT Cloud has actually been around for a couple of years now, but recently it was given a “facelift”. In addition, Arduino has updated its cloud plans, there are now four tiers including a free one.

One of the big improvements is that ESP32 and ESP8266 support is now included in the free plan!

Today we will see how to get started with the Arduino IoT Cloud. I’ll show you how to select a plan and set up your workstation with the Arduino Create agent. Then we will build a few cloud devices using an Arduino Nano 33 IoT board, and Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect board and an ESP32 WROVER module.

Here is what we are covering today:

00:00 - Introduction
02:18 - The Arduino IoT Cloud
06:09 - Selecting a Cloud Plan
09:41 - Installing the Arduino Create Agent
11:21 - Building your first Thing & Dashboard
25:25 - Adding a DHT22 to your Thing
32:36 - Two Things with no Dashboard
41:25 - Using an ESP32
49:47 - Conclusion

I also will show you a few “bugs” in the current implementation of the Arduino IoT Cloud, as the product is constantly being updated some of these may be resolved by the time you view this video.

And although I subscribe to the “Maker” plan, the experiments we are doing today can all be done with the free plan. So it won’t cost you anything to get started.

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

(@sj_h1)

I am a little confused about what can connect to the IOT. Is it only the ESPXX and nano iot or is it any arduino with network connection?

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@sj_h1

At the beginning Bill listed the Arduinos that were usable for IoT applications.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@sj_h1  As @codecage said I listed the boards in the video, and there is a complete list in the article.

There are also a number of Linux boards you can use as well, plus you can use the Arduino PRO Gateway for LoRa.

But if you're thinking about slapping a network board onto an old Arduino Uno you're probably out of luck. Keep in mind that the modern Arduino boards don't just have WiFi capabilities, they also have hardware encryption built-in, making them suitable for IoT applications.  The ESP32 and  ESP8266 require a Secret Key, which is a less secure method of connection, so they do encryption in software (and as 32-bit processors they are capable of it). The older 8-bit AVR Arduino's likely wouldn't be able to do this.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@sj_h1)

@dronebot-workshop That is the answer I was looking for! Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
(@owendale)

My name is Owen and I have questions about iot cloud. I have been on a forum before. I have been working on arduino for about six months

ReplyQuote
(@larry-manson)

Owen,

It would be easier to see if we know the answer to your questions if we knew what they were?

I have accomplished a couple of small things following examples but want to do more with the IOT.

Larry

Mark Bolton reacted
ReplyQuote
(@owendale)

I have tried numerus times to load Create agent with no success. It says it is loaded, but when I try to run it, it does nothing. I am using win10 and google chrome. It does show cb-agent, but I don't know what to do with that.

ReplyQuote
triform
(@triform)

Posted by: @owendale

I have tried numerus times to load Create agent with no success. It says it is loaded, but when I try to run it, it does nothing. I am using win10 and google chrome. It does show cb-agent, but I don't know what to do with that.

We will need more data here 🙂

What IoT service are you using?  

What are you trying to set up?

ReplyQuote
(@owendale)

According to dronebot workshop video, (arduino IOt cloud 2021-getting started with arduino & esp32).

Bill says I have to install arduino agent.  I have not been able to do so. It says it is loaded, but when I try to run it, it is just blank.

ReplyQuote
triform
(@triform)

Sorry, no help from me then as I tend to use Node-Red mostly now.

Others may have info here as well as the IoT section at https://forum.arduino.cc/c/software/iot-cloud/152.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@owendale

As others have indicated your requests are not very clear, just saying "it's not working" doesn't give us much to work with.  The "agent" should be running in the background and it is not something you interact with directly.

When you installed the agent did you get a message that it installed correctly?  In the system try in the lower right corner can you see the Arduino Agent Icon.  If so, what do you see if you right click on it?

Here are two snips of what i see:

ArduinoAgentIcon
RIghtClickAgent

And when I select "Go to Arduino Create" from that menu it sends me to: Arduino Create

Now of course you have to be logged into the Arduino IoT Cloud to get this, the screen I see (shown below):

ArduinoIoTCloudCreate

Are you getting anything even close to this?  Have you created at least a free account, and are you logged in?

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

I have tried numerus times to load Create agent with no success. It says it is loaded, but when I try to run it, it does nothing.

I'm puzzled - what do you mean by "it does nothing"? The Create Agent runs as a task in the background and provides a "bridge" between your USB port and your web browser. It has no user interface, and it should run when the system is started.

I am using win10 and google chrome.

I haven't tried it under Windows, so I can't speak from experience. From the Arduino Create Installation Instructions I understand that you need to give it a number of permissions so that it can load some drivers. I assume you did that.

One thing you might want to try is running Firefox instead of Chrome, as I have noted for a while now that Arduino products don't run well under Chrome. I have no idea why, looks like a CSS error, but even the Arduino Store won't display properly under Chrome.

Also, you might note that I've moved your post into the section dedicated to the Arduino IoT Cloud. I realize that it started as an introduction, but it quickly branched into a discussion about the IoT Cloud, so I thought this was a better place for it.

And, on that subject, welcome to the forum Owen!

😎

Bill

codecage and Mark Bolton reacted
ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@owendale, @dronebot-workshop

I'm currently using Win10 Pro and Chrome.  So far I've had no issues but will continue with the simple app that Bill illustrated in his video.  I had previously watched the video but had not done any of the task necessary to use the Arduino Nano 33 IoT, but will continue with the video again today and let folks know how I make out.

A note on the installation of the the agent.  When I download any file that will install something on my Win10 machine, I never just left click on the button at the bottom of the Chrome window after the down load.  I always right click, select the "show in folder" option, then in the the folder view right click on the file name and select "Run as administrator" option.  Not sure if your issue is related to the agent not being loaded with administrative privilege's or not, but it might be worthwhile to uninstall and reinstall using that method.

More later.

SteveG 🤔 

SteveG

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@owendale

Just completed "My First Dashboard" on the Arduino IoT Cloud using Bill's video as my guide.  I just did the LED portion of the lesson as I didn't have a temp/humidity sensor close at hand, but everything seemed to work fine with my LED and ON/OFF switch on the dashboard.  The only glitch I had was at first the LED wasn't following the "switch" each time I clicked on it. sometimes it would take several clicks for the LED to be in the state indicated by the switch.  The I installed the Arduino IoT Cloud app on my phone and starting using that.  Interestingly enough the LED now seems to follow the switch perfectly both from the phone app or from the computer dashboard.

I am using the "free" plan on the Arduino IoT Cloud at the moment.  I may, in the not too distant future, go up to the next level just to have the "Over the Air" update capabilities.

Anxiously awaiting to hear from you so we can help you get around whatever seems to be your roadblock at the moment.

SteveG aka CodeCage

🤗

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4