6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  
IMG 4795
Pinout diagram of ATmega 328

Because of Bill's excellent video, I decided to use the ATMega328P (with a crystal and a couple of capacitors) as an Arduino. I programmed this one by using the "chassis" of an Arduino Uno. I managed to get it to do everything my "real" Uno and Nano boards do. I also got it to program with an FTDI board. Just buying the chip and crystals is a heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing the SBCs.

The one in the photo just rotates ~17M colour combos in an LED, but I've had the single-chip replace the Arduino in all the projects I had laying around.

Paul VE1DX

strongheart and codecage reacted
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@ve1dx

Way to go Paul!  Ain't it just a barrel of fun when you try something new and it works!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  

@codecage 

Sure is, Steve. Being a real "robot engineer" is beyond me (unless you count putting together the Elegoo kit.) However, Arduino and Pi hardware and software is just about the right level. I think I've assembled every little electronics kit available on the Internet in the past six months as well! Mostly for soldering practice, but one has to do something during this virus mess to maintain sanity.

I did a couple of SMD/SMT kits with an iron that was "interesting." Oddly it's the resistors, capacitors that are hard . . . 14-16 pin ICs seem easy. Either way, I got everything to work.

When something finally works, you get that "wow!" moment that only us experimenters understand!

ReplyQuote
triform
(@triform)

@ve1dx

Very nice. It is nice to be able to make your own designs!   

I have been soldering for a long time and am just starting to use SMD more. I am still a TH man, but there are times I need the space or can't get the component easily in DIP, TH, etc.  I have started liking the 1206 and 1210 resistors though for adding pull-ups and downs on my work after that fact.

IMG 20200712 150934

ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  

Indeed it is.  I like the idea of SMD resistors to fix little "Oops" oversights after the fact.  Looks like you did some fancy footwork to get that in there, but as long as it works, the project thrives. Great idea!

Unrelated, sort of, I ordered a Bootloader programmer for the ATmega328P.  Most of them come with a pre-loaded bootloader these days, but I thought this thing ought to be fun to play with:

Screen Shot 2020 07 12 at 4.34.48 PM

https://www.universal-solder.ca/product/stand-alone-arduino-atmel-microchip-avr-atmega-boot-loader-programmer/

Paul VE1DX

ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @ve1dx

Unrelated, sort of, I ordered a Bootloader programmer for the ATmega328P.  Most of them come with a pre-loaded bootloader these days, but I thought this thing ought to be fun to play with:

Screen Shot 2020 07 12 at 4.34.48 PM

https://www.universal-solder.ca/product/stand-alone-arduino-atmel-microchip-avr-atmega-boot-loader-programmer/

Paul VE1DX

This thing works fine.  I would not have expected otherwise, and I really don't know if it is "necessary" these days.  I can't easily find ATmega328P chips without a bootloader pre-installed.  I re-flashed a couple that I'd programmed and they are then easily recognized by the Arduino IDE as I would expect.  Anyhow, if there's a source of chips without a bootloader that is cheaper, then this gadget might be a good investment.

Paul VE1DX

ReplyQuote