Notifications
Clear all

help with programming esp32cam board

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@videogame95)
Topic starter  

Hi all I've had esp32cam working on my network. I tried to use the programme on the Bill car camera ESP32cam

page.

I noticed there is one sketch only with both codes on Arduino IDE. But when I copy it into sketches, it has its password SSID. Codes are separate pages, how do put them on one page? do you need to change sidd and password as it should connect to the access point?

any help that you give me to get this working.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@videogame95 I am not sure what you are asking, no links, no code.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
My personal scorecard is now 1 PC hardware fix (circa 1982), 1 open source fix (at age 82), and 2 zero day bugs in a major OS.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95  I have rewritten some parts of your OP to show you how to increase your chances of getting some help.

Hi all I've had esp32cam working on my network <link here>. I tried to use the programme <link here>

I noticed there is one sketch only <link here> with both codes (code is NEVER plural) on Arduino IDE. 

But when I copy it into sketches, it has its password SSID. AND???

Code is in  are separate pages, how do put them on one page? Not at all sure what you mean. Other than copy one paste it into new, copy two paste it after one. But since you now have two setup's and two loop's, how can it work, will it even compile?

do you need to change sidd and password as it should connect to the access point? Of course

any help that you give me to get this working.

Try to use proper full english sentence structure and links or screen grabs of what you are referring to, we are not mind readers.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
My personal scorecard is now 1 PC hardware fix (circa 1982), 1 open source fix (at age 82), and 2 zero day bugs in a major OS.

ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)
Topic starter  

@zander Hi I have my code in two sketch pages see the picture below.

sketch 1

if you look at Bill's code they are both in one sketch page'

From the link to the code to run motors and the camera drone bot forum do I load both codes to esp32camera

or only one code to the esp32cam?

what should I put into  "preferences".  HTTP://So I have the correct libraries to install?

To get this login to the online page do I have to change anything like SSID or Password?

I know I changed the test camera programme SSiD and password to mine, which worked.

Any help, please

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by videogame95

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 

You said 

Hi I have my code in two sketch pages see the picture below.omme

I can only see a bit of one sketch of yours, and it doesn't look anything like Bills. Bill has 2 files, an ino and a cpp in the sketch folder.

I don't understand what you are trying to say at

if you look at Bill's code they are both in one sketch page'

See first attached pic for what the IDE looks like when you open Bill's project. I also am attaching a pic of what the folders and files look like after downloading and unzipping.

Sorry, I am not sure what the following means, but I will do my best to answer under the following

From the link to the code to run motors and the camera drone bot forum do I load both codes to esp32camera

or only one code to the esp32cam?

The code bill provided in the zip file gets extracted as pictured below and when you open the .ino file the IDE looks as in pic 1 below. It is 2 source files, the main one is an ino or sketch file, the second is a supporting cpp (C++) file.

NOTHING needs to be modified in the source files, it will work as is.

You MUST read and UNDERSTAND the article at https://dronebotworkshop.com/esp32cam-robot-car/#Resources especially the parts about how to run the demo, and if you are adventurous modify it.

NOTE: IF you try to modify it, there are parts of the sketch that have been 'minified' do NOT edit those, read and follow Bill's instructions or it will fail.

I will guess that what you mean by "Preferences", is "Arduino IDE Preferences" (see the difference?)

You must have at least the following, but you may have additional board managers as well.

https://espressif.github.io/arduino-esp32/package_esp32_index.json

No need to change anything, you can use the SSID and passwords as is. Pic 3 is instructions to start the demo.

Pic 4 is what the UI looks like on your phone/tablet/pc.

Easy peasy, just download the zip, open in IDE, upload, go.

Screenshot 2024 06 09 at 12.48.34
Screenshot 2024 06 09 at 12.47.06
Screenshot 2024 06 09 at 13.04.03
Screenshot 2024 06 09 at 13.05.39

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 I just tried to compile the code and it fails on a few things. Basically some of the libraries are either missing or have had big changes so this sketch needs a lot of work to get it working now.

Given it is a library issue, please go to the library maintainer site and get help there.

One of the errors you will find is with ledc... that is part of the IDE so support will most likely be via the IDE github avenue. Good luck with that one.

ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)
Topic starter  

Thanks for that at least you understanding  what I was on about I'll look up what you said in the other page.

Thanks again for your help 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 I think your sketch is partly impactred by the esp32 V3 library issue, so as an interim fix, set it back to the last 2.x version and don't let it update automatically.

ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)
Topic starter  

@zander thank you for that Ron. ill give it a go

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 Just to be crystal clear, it's the boards that need to be changed to a prev release. See the attached screen shots, roll back to 2.0.17

Screenshot 2024 06 14 at 10.44.19
Screenshot 2024 06 14 at 10.44.32

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 Keep in mind, every time any board in your entire boards list needs an update, you will have to roll back the esp32 again. Rolling back is a quick but interim fix, read the documentation previously posted to make changes to your source code, BUT be aware any library you are using may not yet be Rel 3+ ready.

Espressif appears to have bungled this transition badly in not having all the libraries affected ready to go from the beginning.

One other solution is to use VScode/PlatformIO since you can have different library versions per project. This is more manageable but requires you to learn how to use PlatformIO and VScode. I just tried for the 3rd time to start using them but can't get anything to work. The instructions Bill gave do not work, the mentioned icons are not there. I am on a Mac so that may be a difference, so later this week/next week I will try to set it up on my Win11 box.

PlatformIO and VScode are very powerful tools similar to what I used as a professional programmer 25 years ago, but total overkill for me now EXCEPT it does allow an easy solution to this ESP foul up.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@videogame95 Here are the links you need to be aware of

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-migrating-version-2-to-3-arduino/

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/arduino-esp32/en/latest/migration_guides/2.x_to_3.0.html

NOTE that ledc is one of the affected parts of the API.

ReplyQuote