Clear all

ESP32 Sound problems

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@capt-crumb)
Topic starter  

Hi all, I'm Tony from England.

I've been trying to follow the experiments in the Youtube video ESP32 Sound.

I have a ESP32-WROOM-32 board and I have installed the Espessif library.

The microphone experiment gives me the following error message

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\.arduinoIDE-unsaved2023125-5728-sgz56k.1rbi\sketch_feb25a\sketch_feb25a.ino: In function 'void i2s_install()':
C:\Users\Saunders 1\AppData\Local\Temp\.arduinoIDE-unsaved2023125-5728-sgz56k.1rbi\sketch_feb25a\sketch_feb25a.ino:33:47: error: 'I2S_COMM_FORMAT_STAND_I2S' was not declared in this scope
exit status 1
Compilation error: 'I2S_COMM_FORMAT_STAND_I2S' was not declared in this scope.

The MP3 experiment appears to load but doesn't give an output to the speaker. (lots of symbols in the serial monitor though).

Help would be appreciated.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@capt-crumb This is the type of error we see if either a library is missing or the wrong board is selected. Please provide a link to the article (usually the first link after clicking more on the video) so I can see what it says.

How new to all this are you? Have you installed the  ESP32 Boards Manager files?

What do you mean by the following, it's unusual wording.

I have installed the Espessif library.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @capt-crumb,

Ron @zander has already given some good advice .. a couple of extra supplementary comments.

• If you post code and/or error messages, please try to follow the forum instructions to get the format looking fairly similar to the original. In some cases, for error messages, you might need to screen 'clip', when the text is not selectable. To be sure, before you hit ADD REPLY, use the Save and Preview buttons further down on the left, to get an idea of what it will look like. (I am not criticising you, just trying to make life easier for all 😀 )
  • If the serial monitor is showing lots of 'hieroglyphs', it is probably due to the baud rate set in the program being mismatched with the serial monitor setting. It is normal to set the baud rate in the user program, but that only takes effect when your program has successively compiled, and then downloaded on to the ESP32. From the look of your listing, it fell over in compile phase, and any output is from a previous program still held on the ESP32, which may be the factory test (often blinky). Note when the processor is reset, this may produce a short burst of hieroglyphs which are just 'junk' or electrical noise, which cannot be resolved by any means.

Best wishes, Dave

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@capt-crumb)
Topic starter  

@zander 

Hi Ron,

I am following Dronebot’s YouTube channel.

ESP Sound, working with I2S.

I have installed the Board manager files in the Arduino IDE library.

I am a complete newcomer to all things coding/sketches but I’m usually a very quick learner.

Sorry, there was a spelling mistake in my original post.

I have installed the ESP32 libraries produced by Espressif in the library manager and selected the ESP32 DEV MODULE and the appropriate COM channel in the board manager. Baud rate are matched in the sketch and board. (115200).

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@capt-crumb The first thing I notice is there are two users shown in your compiler errors, Saunders 1 and xxxxxxxxx.

2nd thing I notice is the following

I have a ESP32-WROOM-32 board and I have installed the Espessif library.

What Espressif library? There are probably thousands of libraries, some by Espressif, most are third party. Why do you mention installing a library in the same sentence as describing your board.

Did you mean you installed the Espressif Boards as in the following line from my Arduino/Settings/Additional boards manager (see pic)

The following is most concerning, please show EXACTLY what that means with a screen grab, I know of no such thing and I have done many esp32 projects.

I have installed the ESP32 libraries produced by Espressif in the library manager 

I just tried compiling the microphone sketch and it is error-free at the default level but has a minor error at the ALL level due to some sloppy coding in one of the libraries.

Screenshot 2023 02 26 at 06.40.28

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote