Notifications
Clear all

ESP-32 Cam problem

21 Posts
8 Users
1 Likes
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

A while back I acquired a ESP-32 Cam module. It appears to be identical to the one shown in the ESP-32 video recently posted. 

I am trying to run some of the example sketches. I have tried several settings in the web server sketch, but always get the "A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header" error. 

Getting the board info in the Arduino IDE gives me this: "Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 10), Board: "AI Thinker ESP32-CAM".

I know in the video you said more videos were coming, but any possible help with this error would be appreciated.

Chuck

Edit: on the off chance I have tanked my module, I have ordered 2 more.

(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

Update: I just did a loopback test on the FT232RL board I am using with the problem ESP-32 Cam board, so that's not the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

I have found 2 problems with my loading of the webcam sketch to the ESP-32 cam board.

First, you must release the reset button when the ide begins the upload. That's when the text at the bottom goes red and the dots and bars start. 

Second, the camera I got with the ESP32 cam board is labeled XRZ00D1 V240. That camera is not in the list of cameras in the example Webcam sketch. That I don't know how to fix...

ReplyQuote
(@sysguru)

Posted by: @chucketn

"A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header"

Just checking, did you take IO0 to GND  then do a reset before uploading the sketch?

ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

Yes, I jumpered IO0 to Gnd. I did get the sketch to load, but still get the error that the camera module is not recognized.

ReplyQuote
(@sysguru)

I bought mine from KeeYees and it seems to work with the AI_THINKER module.

Apparently XRZ00D1 V240 is a clone of the AI_THINKER, not the WROVER

ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

I can lnly think the camera module is toast. 2 more on the way.

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

Posted by: @chucketn

Getting the board info in the Arduino IDE gives me this: "Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 10), Board: "AI Thinker ESP32-CAM".

If it's still reporting the board info it's probably not toast.  

I bought one of these myself and fortunately it worked just fine the first time I tried it.   I just ordered 6 more at $4.88 a piece from AliExpress.   Not sure if I'll ever see them though as the virus crisis seems to be disrupting shipments.   I can only hope they show up some day.   I would like to set up cameras at various places throughout my property so I can have them record time-lapse movies.  I figure if I have them take a single still shot every second that should be enough to play back and see what been happening over time.  I think this will be especially interesting in my garden.  I'll be able to see what animals are getting into it. 😊 

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

Il,t does report the board. The failure now is the camera module is not recognized, or something like that. I'll hook it up and get the current error.

ReplyQuote
 BLM
(@the-code-cobbler)

Hi Chuck,

By what you've said, I think your ESP is fine, if your code compiles and loads to the module your issue is most likely the incompatible camera. Although you might try a Google search to see if anyone has successfully used that one with the ESP32 CAM module????

Regards

--->The BLM<---

chucketn reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

@the-code-cobbler

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Waiting on a new order of 2 ESP32-
Cams to come in...

ReplyQuote
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

Well, new modules are no better. First one tested failed right out of the gate...

ReplyQuote
(@ezward)

@chucketn, I'm wondering which version of the ESP32 board library you are using; apparently older versions had a bug using the AI Thinker module where it would not recognize the camera; see here; https://github.com/espressif/esp32-camera/issues/5 . In fact, if you search those issues for AI Thinker, you will find quite a few issues (mostly closed) that are pretty informative.

Another thing I know from experience is that when the AI Thinker ESP32 Cam is plugged into a solderless breadboard, you may get abysmal or no Wifi.  That has been my experience.  At first I though I had something wrong with the board, but when I pulled it off the solderless breadboard, it worked great.  I've confirmed this a couple of times with different solderless breadboards.

One other thing is that powering with 5v apparently leads to a more stable system that powering with 3.3v.  I've only been using 5v, so I can't speak to it myself, but I've seen that mentioned in a few places.

It would be great to hear if you resolve your issue.  If not, it would be great to hear who you purchased from so we can avoid them!  Good luck!

This post was modified 4 years ago by Ezward

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@ezward

Your link above ends in a period, which causes a 404 not found error.  Maybe you should edit and remove the period on the end of the link, or worst case everyone can remove the period from the URL in their browser after getting the 404 error.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@ezward)

I can't find a way to edit the post.  @codecage can you fix that as an admin?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2