Notifications
Clear all

Nano RP2040 Weather station

6 Posts
4 Users
5 Likes
(@chucketn)
Topic starter  

I would like to create a weather station using the Sparkfun weather shield for the Arduino Uno, the sparkfun weather sensors (wind speed, wind direction, and rain gauge), which I have working with a Uno. I now have a Nano RP2040 Connect that I would like to use to display the weather info on a web server.

I don't know where to start. Are there any experts here that could help? 

I have been playing with all the examples of sketches for the Nano that I can find. I actually got the RGB led to work from a web browser.

Is it as simple as breadboarding the Weather shield and jumpering the pins to the Nano?

Where would one find tutorials on creating the web page to display the weather info?

Spudger and Larry Manson reacted
(@davee)

Hi @chucketn,

I haven't built a weather station or played with RP2040, but it may help both you and others with more experience, if you clarify where you would like your web server will be hosted.

Perhaps the three 'obvious generic' possibilities to consider are:

1. The RP2040
  2. Another processor or PC in your ''home" network
  3. A third party server on the Internet.

The choice may depend upon whether you wish to be able to browse to your server from anywhere on the Internet, or are content with your local WiFi range.

Best wishes.

Spudger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@larry-manson)

I am not building a weather station but am trying to work with the Arduino Cloud to take data from an RP2040.  I started out with this example:

https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/nano-rp2040-connect/rp2040-iot-cloud

I was a bit unhappy I had to pay to send so few (4 If I recall right) variables to their cloud before I knew it would work for me.  Therefore I dropped the number of variables I was sending and managed to get it to work.

I am still a bit confused about where I can get data too off of their cloud.

I have another problem that has delayed me on this project for a bit.

I hope to get back to it soon.

SparkFun also has a cloud data service.

Larry

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @larry-manson,

Again, I apologise for not being the expert you were hoping for, but you have started to clarify the picture, which I am hoping will help you move forward.

I am guessing that you so far you have managed to send data from a small number of sensors (maybe 3 or 4?) to the Ardunio Cloud site, and to see that data on the Arduino 'Dashboard' as simple numerical values. (Am I correct so far?)

I haven't looked at it closely, but I presume you can 'tweak' the Arduino Dashboard display to some extent, but at first glance, that extent looked rather limited, and maybe not enough.

I am not clear if Arduino provides any facilities beyond the Dashboard ... perhaps someone else can comment?

---

Perhaps you would like to describe what you want to do with the data?

You originally said "to display the weather info on a web server". A web server is a program that runs on a computer somewhere, but I am unclear where you envisage the computer to be. Hence, my question in my previous post, which I think it would be helpful for you to answer.

Once you have your web server specified, the task becomes one of figuring out how to send data to it.

Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
(@larry-manson)

I answered the question primarily to pass the link on showing the accelerometer unit sending data to the Arduino Cloud. 

"I am guessing that you so far you have managed to send data from a small number of sensors (maybe 3 or 4?) to the Ardunio Cloud site, and to see that data on the Arduino 'Dashboard' as simple numerical values. (Am I correct so far?)

I haven't looked at it closely, but I presume you can 'tweak' the Arduino Dashboard display to some extent, but at first glance, that extent looked rather limited, and maybe not enough."

CORRECT

I followed the example in the link I provided for the gyro accelerometer on the RP2040. I was able to play with the data on the dashboard.

I am guessing since these are then in a cloud I should be able to access them from a web page. I am currently busy on another project and haven't investigated this.

My only current purpose is to understand practical IOT and what I can do with it from an embedded standpoint.

Larry

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

Posted by: @chucketn

I would like to create a weather station using the Sparkfun weather shield for the Arduino Uno, the sparkfun weather sensors (wind speed, wind direction, and rain gauge), which I have working with a Uno. I now have a Nano RP2040 Connect that I would like to use to display the weather info on a web server.

I would start with testing the libraries to see if they will even work on an RP2040. You might have to edit the library. You could look through the documentation to see how it works and find a way to use alternate libraries or write it out yourself. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work but it might take some experimentation. Select the board in the Arduino IDE(I am assuming that's what you plan on using) and open the example sketches that came with the library and try to verify it. If that works then try so make the appropriate connections and upload it. If you need help with the hookup, just ask but we would need to know the hardware you have and library you are using. If you get the correct data from it then the web browser is easy to set up.

Posted by: @larry-manson

I was a bit unhappy I had to pay to send so few (4 If I recall right) variables to their cloud before I knew it would work for me.  Therefore I dropped the number of variables I was sending and managed to get it to work.

You could also use the google drive API. It is free. Sent it like an API. Send all the data in 1 string separated by a special character like * or - . You can parse it out on the other end. I have not experimented with it yet so I do not know if you could alter an SQLite DB. But you could store a txt file there. You would not have the dashboard but you can create one using Python and TKinter.

If you are planning on just using the data on your end and not through the dashboard then use the API just like I suggested above. You would only need to send one thing but it would include multiple points of data.

Oddly enough, I do not see a way of accessing their API with C. They do have JS and Python though. API ThingsV2 Show. I would not say that it is impossible, you would just have to see how the other methods are doing it and copy it for the same response.

Spudger and Larry Manson reacted
ReplyQuote