Clear all

Arduino IDE 2.0

32 Posts
12 Users
5 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

Let’s examine the new Arduino IDE 2.0 (Release Candidate 3) and see what’s new, what works, and what still needs work!

The Arduino IDE 2.0 is the newest iteration of the popular Arduino IDE. As with its predecessor, it allows you to write sketches for microcontrollers made by Arduino and can be extended using the Boards Manager to use other manufacturers’ microcontrollers as well.

This new IDE features a sleek new design with a choice of Dark or Light modes, an improved Serial Plotter, and an integrated real-time debugger. It also adds features like code completion, and it integrates with the Arduino IoT Cloud to allow you to edit both your local and cloud-based sketches in one place.

The product has been in development for a couple of years now, and it finally made it to the Release Candidate version at the end of 2021. I’m examining Release candidate 3, which was released on January 11, 2022.

As with all release candidates, there are still a few bugs to be ironed out, and I’ll show you a couple of them in this video, along with some workarounds. If you’re viewing this in the future, then some of these bugs will likely be fixed.

Here is what we will be covering in today’s video:

00:00 - Introduction
01:30 - Arduino IDE Evolution
04:14 - Installing the IDE
08:40 - Basic IDE Features
11:38 - Preferences & Settings
14:35 - Run Blink on Uno
16:18 - Serial Monitor
20:07 - Serial Plotter
23:36 - Arduino IoT Cloud
25:22 - Boards Manager Intro
26:54 - Arduino Nano AVR
29:25 - Arduino Nano 33 IoT
30:38 - ESP32
33:20 - Seeeduino XIAO
36:32 - Raspberry Pi Pico
39:14 - Library Manager
42:53 - Summary - final thoughts
46:32 - Conclusion

As the new Arduino IDE 2.0 uses the same Sketchbook folder as the holder IDE, you’ll have access to all of your existing sketches and libraries when you install it. For that reason, I would recommend that you give it a try, you can always revert to the older IDE if you don’t like it.

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

Inst-Tech reacted
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @yurkshirelad

1) It takes 2 minutes to load

I've run it on six computers now, 3 Linux, 2 Mac and one Windows. Longest boot time is about 10 seconds.

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

2) Every time I open the serial monitor it complains that I have to re-select the board and port, even though it usually shows the output

That is mentioned in the video and article, along with a link to the GitHub issue.

Are you running RC3? I noticed a substantial improvement between RC2 and RC3.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I thought I was running the latest, but perhaps they just released a new version.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I am running the latest; it turns out there's at least one known bug at startup that explains my problem. If you switch away while the IDE is loading and use another app, the IDE won't finish loading until you switch back and give it focus. Or something like that.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

One thing I don't understand is that if I have two separate IDE windows for different sketches, their serial monitors both show the same output. I guess you can only run one serial monitor?

The plugin that highlights any compile errors is wrong; it continues to highlight errors that don't exist.

The drop down that shows the board and port continues to show the yellow exclamation mark, even though the board and port are correctly selected.

The code formatter doesn't seem to work for me.

I managed to split the view for one tab by accident and I can't reverse it! 😀 

This post was modified 2 years ago by YurkshireLad

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @yurkshirelad ,

Just mulling your comment "if I have two separate IDE windows for different sketches, their serial monitors both show the same output. I guess you can only run one serial monitor?"

If you have only one USB cable and Arduino, then this statement seems to be reasonable, since they are both talking/listening to the same place. (If it happens, then in some ways, maybe it iss actually quite 'clever' ... the more obvious effect would have been either one shutting the other out, or a squabble, with muddled data on both monitors.)

A more interesting case might be with two Arduinos and respective USB cables, etc.  Can you run both on the same computer/operating system with independent serial monitors?

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I have two microcontrollers (ESP32 & ESP8266) using two separate USB cables into the same PC. I have two Arduino IDE 2 windows, one for each microcontroller. If I open the serial monitor in both IDEs, they show the same output for only one microcontroller.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @yurkshirelad,

Ah, I see what you mean  ....thanks ... that is useful to know ... but maybe not so helpful to you. I haven't got around to trying to connect two at a time yet.

So presumably one of the IDEs is ignoring the USB selection for the serial monitor part ... a bug or a "feature"?

I presume version 1.8 plays more nicely ... perhaps there are a few more RCs to go before 2.0 makes the big time?

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I'm not sure what's going on - I may have messed something up, who knows!

I recall having similar problems with the original IDE. I *think*, when you open an existing sketch or start a new sketch from within the original IDE, it doesn't create a physically separate instance of the IDE. The new window shares (some/all) resources with the existing window.

I *think* I had to right click on the icon on the Windows task bar and start a new instance. If that makes sense. This was a while ago so my memory may be playing tricks.

ReplyQuote
Photo Bud
(@photo-bud)

Thanks for the informative video. It looks like I'll be getting back into the Arduino world for my model railroad and I'd already loaded the version of the IDE that you demonstrated. Nice to know what to look out for!

Photo Bud (aka John)
The Old Curmudgeon!

ReplyQuote
Photo Bud
(@photo-bud)

Anyone else having trouble with Library Manager? My Libraries folder has 43 entries, most of which do not show up (nor can be found using Filter your search...) in Library Manager. One of the entries was added using the Sketch->Include Library->Add .ZIP Library... function. It is not found on the Library Manager window, nor will the sketch find it.

I tried to use the Help function, but the page on Library Manager with link to managing takes me to a 1.6 screen. Which is no help.

Interestingly, the library I'm trying to add, shows up in the Sketch->Include Library (Contributed Libraries) shows all the libraries, including the one I want to use. If selected, it will create the #include statement, but then shows as not found (error indicated).

Am I doing something wrong? 

Photo Bud (aka John)
The Old Curmudgeon!

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@photo-bud 

I think Bill said you need to exit the IDE and then start it gain for libraries to appear.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Photo Bud
(@photo-bud)

It was said that the Examples won't show unless you exit and re-start. I just exited my instance of the IDE and re-started with the same results. No knowledge of the library except in the list as described and selecting inserts the #include, but as an error.

Photo Bud (aka John)
The Old Curmudgeon!

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@photo-bud 

Wow, that sounds like a pretty serious error to find in a release candidate !

Did you report it ?

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Photo Bud
(@photo-bud)

I found one problem is that for a library to show up in Library Manager, it MUST have a library.properties file and the specific one I've been trying to use does not have one! Don't know if this is the specific problem with my other ones not being visible.

Photo Bud (aka John)
The Old Curmudgeon!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3