Notifications
Clear all

ESP8266 Timed out waiting for packet header - while trying to upload from IDE

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to program my ESP8266-12E. I managed to upload some code and it ran. However, 9 times out of 10, when I try to upload new code from the Arduino IDE, it will give this error:

esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I tried using the reset button but that doesn't seem to make a difference.I also tried holding down the "flash" button while uploading the sketch, but that didn't work either.

The manufacturer is listed on the board as DOITING, which may be a chinese clone. It was listed online with the vendor as "NodeMCU DEVKIT ESP8266".

Thanks

MadMisha
(@madmisha)

I had this with a few esp32s that I have. My solution was to select a different board than recommended. I went with one of the DEV boards of the same type and it has since worked fine every time now. So many manufactures and things get messed up. I might have gotten a cheap clone.

Also, I believe the firmware is updatable on those just like the esp32(LuaNode) by using the ESPTool/Espressif flash download tools. You might look to update it in case it is corrupt or just has a bug.

Here is a link to one such situation that might help.

ESP8266 Forum Topic

YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Thanks. It seems to have settled down a bit and is fairly reliable. Can't say the same about my project! 😆 

ReplyQuote