Clear all

[Solved] esp8266 Deep sleep RST and code upload

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Timo88
(@timo88)
Topic starter  

I'm working on a simple ESP8266 project where I'll use Deep sleep to save power.
(12F dev board)
As I'm learning c++ on the fly, I need quite a bit of code uploads to get the code to work. 😉
On my breadboard, I now have to pull out the connection between GPIO16 and the RST pin for every code upload.
I do understand why this is, but is there a (hardware)  way around that (during development)?

Thank you, Timo

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Hi Timo, what is the purpose of the connection between RST and GPIO16?

Here is a good source of info for 8266 LINK

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @timo88

On my breadboard, I now have to pull out the connection between GPIO16 and the RST pin for every code upload.
I do understand why this is, but is there a (hardware)  way around that (during development)?

How about putting in an NC (normally closed) button between the wire and GPIO16. Then, when you need to break the circuit just push the button.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Timo88
(@timo88)
Topic starter  

@zander It resets the device after deep sleep right?

ReplyQuote
Timo88
(@timo88)
Topic starter  

@will Yes, I think that's the easiest option.

The other option I thought of is to delay making gpio16 output for 1 second and use the reset button before upload, but I think your suggestion is better as I don't have to change the code for it, thank you. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@timo88 Here is an Espressif document I found that might be of interest to you.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Timo88
(@timo88)
Topic starter  

@zander Thank you 🙂

ReplyQuote