Clear all

Exploring the Arduino Nano ESP32 | MicroPython & IoT Cloud

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

I'm donating the proceeds from this video to the Hawai‘i Community Foundation's "Maui Strong: Fire Relief Fund" to help support the people of Maui who lost so much in the wildfire. As a former resident of Hawai‘i, I was heartbroken to see the beautiful town of Lahaina destroyed.  If you are able to, please consider contributing, you can make a donation on the YouTube video. Mahalo!

Another new Arduino board! This time it’s the Arduino Nano ESP32, and we’ll test it out today. Includes MicroPython and Arduino IoT Cloud experiments.

Arduino has certainly been busy lately. After releasing the Arduino Giga at the beginning of the year, they followed up by releasing two new Arduino Uno boards. And, as if that wasn’t enough, they have just added another member to the growing Arduino Nano family - the Arduino Nano ESP32.

Although a few of the Nano boards already have ESP32 chips, those boards use the ESP32 as a communications coprocessor. This new Nano is the first Arduino board to use the ESP32 as its main processor.

We will begin by looking at the board features and pinouts. Of course, all Nano boards use the same pinout, allowing you to repurpose any prototyping tools you have gathered for the other family members.

At the heart of the board is an ESP32-S3 module, so the new Nano board has essentially the same specifications as other boards built around that chip.

We’ll also use the board with MicroPython, and I’ll show you how to install the MicroPython bootloader. Don’t worry; you can revert to C++ by reinstalling the Arduino Bootloader. I’ll show you how to do that as well.

And we will build a project for the Arduino IoT Cloud. The Arduino Nano ESP32 is an inexpensive way of creating IoT applications.

Here is the Table of Contents for today's video:

00:00 - Introduction
01:56 - Arduino Nano ESP32
09:32 - Arduino IDE Setup & WiFi Scan Test
12:13 - Nano ESP32 as a Human Interface Device
19:07 - Using MicroPython
23:30 - Installing MicroPython
27:40 - Using the Arduino Labs Python Editor
32:28 - Reloading the C++ Bootloader
34:28 - Arduino IoT Cloud
37:09 - IoT Cloud Project Hookup
38:05 - Connect Nano ESP32 to IoT Cloud
41:06 - Build a Thing
44:29 - IoT Cloud Project Code
49:01 - Build a Dashboard
53:49 - Running Remote & OTA Updates
54:52 - Conclusion

If Arduino releases any more new boards this year, I’ll need a new Arduino shirt! Hope you enjoy the video.

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

rommudoh reacted
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Just a couple of off topic things, when did printf support become available? A few months ago I was looking into that and found there is a 3rd party library for it. The discussions I found did not seem to know there was built in support. Much better way to do Serial.print for debug or just old fashioned printouts.

I see they have added a few goodies to the IOT cloud, maybe time to up my subscription.

Can you cover the difference between the IOT cloud and the Arduino cloud?

Lot's of new stuff, just in time for my new 'lab'.

Thanks as always, and donation done.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@john40131)

I have just designed a PCB to control up to 10 LED's on a 00 gauge Model Shop build ( Metacalfe Kits ) for interior lights, initially using tactile buttons and 4 x PCA8574 devices i.e 10 input and 10 output and a Nano using the I2C bus ... the sketch is on www.github.com/MERG-DEV ... https://github.com/MERG-DEV/arduino_pcf8574_pushbutton_toggle ... So I was wondering if the Nano ESP32 WiFi control could be added to this sketch to allow remote switching ...

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@john40131 If I understand correctly you are currently using a NANO, and you are wondering if you can replace it with a NANO that has WiFi? The answer is yes, the NANAO 33 IoT would be my first choice but the NANO ESP32 will also work as well as either of the NANO 33 boards.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@john40131)

@zander Hi, thanks for response, I dont have the PCB as yet its in production but yes the Arduino Nano is the device I am using, once I have working with the buttons I will at some stage look at remote operation ...

Regards John

ReplyQuote
(@andre-alm10)

Hello, nice video! I want to make a "mouse" with just the right and left click buttons and the scroll up and down. I have tried using the Arduino Nano 33 BLE with mbed OS. I can't get it working. The pairing doesn't want to work. In your video you highlight that Nano ESP32 has HID support. Doesn't all boards with BLE support HID? I have been trying with the Nano 33 BLE but maybe I should unpack my Nano ESP32 and give it a try. What do you think? 

Regards André Alm

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@andre-alm10 The way I would approach this is to find the software library that gives you the functionality you desire, then look in that library's 'library.properties' file to see what boards are supported. 

To get started, open the Arduino IDE and click the libraries icon then start entering search criteria and reading the descriptions. Once you find a few that sound like they will be useful, install them and try the sample sketches.

Good luck

andre.alm10 reacted
ReplyQuote