10.7 K Views
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@wamagee

Posted by: @wamagee
Interactive Code Debuggers

Posted by: @frogandtoad

... I don't think your project is that complicated to require one

That is your opinion, and you really don't know enough about what I am doing to offer such an opinion. Some sketches will be simple and others very complicated.

Also please realize that in my 30 years of System/Software development I've seen interactive debuggers as invaluable. As Chief Programmer for Bayer in Pittsburgh, PA I was responsible for finding the sweet point between quality and productivity, always leaning toward quality. I extensively reviewed and advised management on the value of interactive debuggers, this was when they first came out in the early 1980s and were VERY expensive. Even with the cost it was always a "no brainier" that they are worth investing significant $s to buy and significant time to learn how to use!

Engage Brain Before Opening Mouth

As a current BA for the last 25 years, I fail to understand your arrogance against me... do you hate Australians? I have formal qualifications and as I said; 25 years of software development to make such an opinion, and my opinion is current to the most recent advice in methodologies available to date (LET ALONE MY MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE), including Agile etc... and they do not agree with you.

I just don't understand why you would post such a STUPID and ARROGANT reply to someone who wishes to help?

Why?  Please explain!  Are you superior to me?

[edit]

I've read 20 pages of your requirements... do you think I have no clue after all that reading?

ReplyQuote
WAMagee
(@wamagee)

In ether case, it the portable version doesn't cost you anything to play around with it for yourself, to see if it works for you or not... why not just try it and see for yourself what today's version looks and plays like?

It does cost time and I would love to jump into testing it out but right now any available, and very limited,  time will be spent learning my way around the electronics world.  This is my very first endeavor into Micro-prossing stuff. In addition to time spent learning that there is going to be time selecting and evaluating tools. Also different types of hardware. My plate is beyond full.  But thx for the thought!

ReplyQuote
WAMagee
(@wamagee)

Why are you afraid of testing the latest version?

It can surely help you develop your code, and if there are any critical issues, then just recompile your final version in the traditional IDE or some other IDE.  Eclipse is another mature and well regarded IDE I have also mentioned in the past... have you looked at that at all?

Like I said in my last response to you, at this point my plate is over full. Never heard of Eclipse. 

ReplyQuote
WAMagee
(@wamagee)

fail to understand your arrogance against me... do you hate Australians? I have formal qualifications and as I said; 25 years of software development to make such an opinion, and my opinion is current to the most recent advice in methodologies available to date (LET ALONE MY MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE), including Agile etc... and they do not agree with you.

I just don't understand why you would post such a STUPID and ARROGANT reply to someone who wishes to help?

[edit]

I've read 20 pages of your requirements... do you think I have no clue after all that reading?

My perceived arrogance to you might well be based on your perception of events based on your own projections of issues within yourself. I say this in part because of the way you chastised me for something that

1) was not directed to you in any manner

2) was a simple and extremely obvious typo

3) was pointed  out to you by another member real quick that it was a typo

4) followed up by that same member with tests demonstrating that beyond any reasonable doubt that the typo was caused by auto correct

5) yet even another member that you starting insisting that I apologize to explained to you that it was an obvious typo and

6) somehow after all this you somehow felt you were right on insisting on an apology from me, an apology that you received because I somehow mistakenly wanted to appease something that I did not understand within you. 

Finally, the thank you from you for my apology was "beyond the pale" since it should have been an apology to me for your "arrogance" in thinking you were somehow slighted.  Now do you understand how projection works. 

No you do not, those 20 pages don't cover 1/10 of the project I am undertaking.

You asked
Are you superior to me?
Again, look inside yourself, what are you projecting?

do you hate Australians?
I have nothing against Australians, you might want to ask your self what nationalities you hate or what prejudices you hold.

Continuing finally, on you replied to another member with

But any way I feel like I am being sucked into a Salad Fingers butchery session and will not reply to any one that seems naff...

Thanks awfully ..

N-A-F-F. British slang. It means worthless, tacky, unfashionable - 'that's naff', 'the party was naff', 'those clothes are naff' - unenjoyable, of poor quality.

You use of "naff", "Salad Fingers butchery session" and "Thanks awfully" are obviously not typos and you chastised me for a typo? Yep, at least to me, you appear to be projecting something from within yourself.

So when I said "Engage brain before opening mouth" all of the above was engaged in my brain.

There is little doubt that the forum is suffering as the result of our relationship.  The incident with my typo generated tons of basically useless information. So I suggest you stay out of my posts and I will stay out of yours.  Thank you.

PS: this last comment was added after a few posts that might have included you, I apologize for not thinking of this approach earlier.
This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by WAMagee

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@wamagee @frogandtoad

This is supposed to be a forum for tech enthusiasts to share information and help each other.

Everyone is free to express an opinion and that opinion is worth exactly what it costs (nothing).

And the best part is that you can completely ignore opinions you don't agree with. And that means that there aren't any winners or losers, so you can feel free to (silently) ignore any opinion which doesn't fit with your own experience.

And that includes this opinion  too 🙂

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@wamagee

Posted by: @wamagee

fail to understand your arrogance against me... do you hate Australians? I have formal qualifications and as I said; 25 years of software development to make such an opinion, and my opinion is current to the most recent advice in methodologies available to date (LET ALONE MY MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE), including Agile etc... and they do not agree with you.

[edit]

My perceived arrogance to you might well be based on your perception of events based on your own projections of issues within yourself. I say this in part because of the way you chastised me for something that

1) was not directed to you in any manner

2) was a simple and extremely obvious typo

3) was pointed  out to you by another member real quick that it was a typo

4) followed up by that same member with tests demonstrating that beyond any reasonable doubt that the typo was caused by auto correct

5) yet even another member that you starting insisting that I apologize to explained to you that it was an obvious typo and

6) somehow after all this you somehow felt you were right on insisting on an apology from me, an apology that you received because I somehow mistakenly wanted to appease something that I did not understand within you. 

Finally, the thank you from you for my apology was "beyond the pale" since it should have been an apology to me for your "arrogance" in thinking you were somehow slighted.  Now do you understand how projection works. 

No you do not, those 20 pages don't cover 1/10 of the project I am undertaking.

You asked
Are you superior to me?
Again, look inside yourself, what are you projecting?

do you hate Australians?
I have nothing against Australians, you might want to ask your self what nationalities you hate or what prejudices you hold.

Continuing finally, on you replied to another member with

But any way I feel like I am being sucked into a Salad Fingers butchery session and will not reply to any one that seems naff...

Thanks awfully ..

N-A-F-F. British slang. It means worthless, tacky, unfashionable - 'that's naff', 'the party was naff', 'those clothes are naff' - unenjoyable, of poor quality.

You use of "naff", "Salad Fingers butchery session" and "Thanks awfully" are obviously not typos and you chastised me for a typo? Yep, at least to me, you appear to be projecting something from within yourself.

So when I said "Engage brain before opening mouth" all of the above was engaged in my brain.

There is little doubt that the forum is suffering as the result of our relationship.  The incident with my typo generated tons of basically useless information. So I suggest you stay out of my posts and I will stay out of yours.  Thank you.

PS: this last comment was added after a few posts that might have included you, I apologize for not thinking of this approach earlier.

Some facts for you to project on:

1) You made the mistake by using a derogatory comment, not me
2) I initially took offence to your comment thinking it was directed at me
3) I did not ask for an apology from you – I only asked you to explain yourself
4) I accepted your apology that you made a typo, and forgot about it and later said lets move on
5) I did not insist on you doing anything – This is a lie
6) I did not make those “naff”, “Salad Fingers butchery session", "Thanks awfully" etc… comments in another post at all – This is a lie
7) I provided an opinion based on my experiences and your 20 pages of requirements, and you returned an ARROGANT response

The fact that "all of the above was engaged in your brain before commenting", shows me that you have some problems, and have been conjuring up some kind of prejudice against me since fact point 1.

Do you see how facts work?

With pleasure I withdraw my participation in any further posts from you.

PS: Please correct your lies or forever be known as one!

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@will

Posted by: @will

@wamagee @frogandtoad

This is supposed to be a forum for tech enthusiasts to share information and help each other.

Everyone is free to express an opinion and that opinion is worth exactly what it costs (nothing).

And the best part is that you can completely ignore opinions you don't agree with. And that means that there aren't any winners or losers, so you can feel free to (silently) ignore any opinion which doesn't fit with your own experience.

And that includes this opinion  too 🙂

100% correct Will... it was just an opinion, everyone has one, and it didn't warrant such a response.

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

I know this is a strange question, but which UNO is it you are using, it has a different pin layout that looks interesting.

Also, I am def going to switch to that IDE, much more function albeit slightly taller learning curve.

Thanks for telling us about it.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
 wing
(@wing)

Like many of us, I would like to develop applications with ESP32 in Platformio.  I have seen some video instructions made in the forum and basically got my esp32 working as instructed.   However, there are few things not clear to me:

When using micropython in ESP32, the boot.py and main.py would auto executed when the esp32 is power up.  Would that be the reason that the default file in the SRC folder is main?   In other words, if I want the ESP32 executes a file upon power on, I would either load a file either in the name of main or boot?  

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@wing IIRC, on power up boot.py runs followed by main.py.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
 wing
(@wing)

@zander would that be the same case if sketch(cpp) is used in platformIO that boot.?? followed by main.?? if one wants the RSP32 executing certain codes upon power on?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@wing Those rules are just for python. For Arduino C++ it's the same as in the IDE.

ReplyQuote
 wing
(@wing)

@zander thanks and now all clear.  Perhaps it is easier to use meaningful name

ReplyQuote
(@ddsnyder)

A bit late to the view, recently retired and am exploring options. Your presentation on VSC and Platform IO is wonderful, thanks. I have used VSC for dev on SCADA systems, but not embedded and your video made clear how to manage these devices.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5