Clear all

PlutoX Aerial Robotics Kit - A DIY Drone You Can Program

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

Learn how to use the programmable PlutoX quadcopter.

Get your own PlutoX at http://flyplutox.com

The PlutoX Aerial Robotics Kit is a unique new drone that is built especially for experimenters and hobbyists. Unlike standard quadcopters, the PlutoX can be modified by writing your own software and adding your own hardware.

In fact, the PlutoX doesn’t even need to be configured as a quadcopter! Some users have reconfigured their PlutoX kits to become a rover, a “hybrid drone” that both flies and drives on wheels, and even a lighter than air dirigible! You are limited only by your own imagination (and by the payload capacity of 15 grams).

In this introductory video, I'll show you the components of the PlutoX and explain its architecture. We will then look at the Cygnus IDE, a development environment that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X that you’ll use to write code for the PlutoX. The code is written in C++ and its structure will be easily grasped by anyone who has ever worked with the Arduino (although the PlutoX is not an Arduino compatible device).

Here is what I’ll cover in this video:

00:00 - Introduction
03:15 - PlutoX Components
07:13 - PlutoX Drone Architecture
10:01 - PlutoX Controller Setup
16:12 - Programming the PlutoX
19:20 - Cygnus IDE Walkthrough
21:04 - PlutoX Code Demo
30:36 - PlutoX Flight Demo (with a bad pilot!)

I was provided an advanced copy of the PlutoX drone by its manufacturer, Drona Aviation.

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak