Clear all

Bluetooth & IR Remote - Elegoo Arduino Smart Robot Car Part 2

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

In the second part of the series on the Elegoo Smart Robot Car, I’ll show you how to use both the Bluetooth and IR remote control features.

Full article at https://dbot.ws/robcar2

If you need to know how to put the car together please see the first video.

The Elegoo Smart Robot Car Kit has several features, including Line Following, Collision Avoidance, Bluetooth Remote, and Infrared Remote. Today we will examine the Bluetooth and Infrared remote controls. Both will allow you to drive the car using a remote control

The Bluetooth remote makes use of the popular HC-08 Bluetooth module, which is attached to the Arduino Uno that forms the basis of the robot car design. To facilitate using the module Elegoo has provided an app for both Android and IOS devices, I’ll be showing you how to set up and configure the Android version.

The infrared (IR) remote control uses a popular IR remote that is included in the Elegoo kit. The custom Arduino shield on the robot car has an IR receiver module.

Elegoo has provided sketches to use both remote controls. I’ll go over the code with you, including a fix I needed to apply to get the car working properly.

Here is what you will learn in this video:

00:00 - Introduction
01:44 - Understanding Bluetooth
06:36 - Elegoo Bluetooth App
08:44 - Defining keys
12:22 - Bluetooth Blink Sketch
15:04 - Bluetooth Car Sketch
21:44 - Fix for turning problem
22:25 - IR Remote Intro
26:34 - IR Blink Sketch
31:56 - Controlling the Car with IR Remote
39:50 - Comparison of both remote control methods

Even if you don’t own the Elegoo kit you can still benefit from the video and the accompanying article, as what is shown here will apply to almost any Arduino-based robot car design. But if you are starting from scratch I do recommend the Elegoo Smart Robot Car Kit, it’s a great value and it makes building your first robot car both easy and fun.

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak