Notifications
Clear all

Other Robot Projects

76 Posts
22 Users
23 Likes
21.7 K Views
(@dabrace)

I have an mBot ( http://learn.makeblock.com/en/mbot/) that has an mCore controller.

I was thinking of replacing the mCore with an  Makeblock ME Orion board.

https://www.makeblock.com/project/makeblock-orion

The specs for the mCode or Orion do not say what type of connector goes to the motor pins. At least at my experience level can determine.

The mBot uses Makeblock TT Geared Motor DC 6V/200RPM

( http://learn.makeblock.com/en/tt-geared-motor-dc-6v-200rpm/

The motor connectors do not fit on the Orion board.

First question: What type of connector do both used for the motors?

Second question: Is is possible to attach the motors to the Orion?

Third question: Will I burn up the motors? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

@dabrace

The documentation seems a bit limited in detail, but, from the picture, it kinda looks like an RJ11 or an RJ45

If you have one in front of you, you could count the contact pins for a more exact answer. If it has 6 pins, it's an RJ11, and if it has 8 pins, it's an RJ45

Both are pretty much standard type connectors used in various things. The RJ45 is typically used in CAT5 or CAT6 for ethernet (LAN, Internet, etc) and the RJ11 is typically used for business phone type things, but, neither one is something that is ONLY used for those things. If you need 8 wires from point A to point B, sure, go ahead and use an RJ45, or if you need 6 wires, then use the RJ11. They won't carry much voltage, but, they're fairly decent at carrying a data signal

I could see the mblock people employing an RJ11 or an RJ45 for a small motor signal and power. There's no rule that says that you can only use a device for the specified purpose. The only thing you need to be careful of is how they pinned the cables. Just because they might be using an RJ45 connector doesn't necessarily mean that you can use a standard CAT5 cable you bought from Best Buy. The wires inside the connectors might be connected to different pins

You could use an ohm meter and test the cables to see which pins are connected at each end on the originals and from there you'd have to determine what the wires are meant to do when compared from the mcore to the orion

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zeferby)

@dabrace

followinf your links to mBot and Orion I see :

mBot : Easy and intuitive wiring with color-coded RJ25 connector

Orion : Easy to use RJ25 cable

These are 6-contact RJ connectors : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack#RJ25

Eric

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Or, you could disregard everything I said, and read the actual words. Cuz, ya know, words are good too

ReplyQuote
(@dabrace)

I'm also looking for the connector for the M1 and M2 Pins.

ME Orion M1M2 Pins

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

discussing the aiming, tracking and other components that such a robotic device would need is fine, as these can be used in multiple applications.  But just not the actual firing component.

Something like this ?

https://tinyurl.com/rvky68y

pingpongcanon

Wouldn't hurt anything, it's just a ping pong ball

It's completely pointless

But totally cool 😎 

Not gonna do it tho

(only because I don't have any room for it)

ZeFerby reacted
ReplyQuote
AngeloB
(@angelob)

Hi everyone, here is my new robot - Mr. Metal - let me know what you think youtube link Mr. Metal

Thanks 

AngeloB - EzAng

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@angelob

So how much of that was remote control?

A lot (all?) the robotic mechanical marvels seen on utube are remote controlled and all the failures are not revealed for obvious commercial reasons. I think autonomous robots beyond obstacle avoidance and gps navigation are still in the future.

I think maybe you should call it Mr Wobbly? Before I added speed control I had a large robot that used a relay h-bridge which resulted in a simple on/off forward/back control of the motors resulting in jerky movements so I called that version JerkyBot 🙂 Not so good for carrying cups full of liquids.

I wasn't able to clearly make out the spoken text.

"HI everyone. How are you today. DJ robo happy ... nomad..here I come again I am Mr Metal I can move my head and mouth Here is my first test to perform. I hope I can do it. I will try to pick up the bottle and then move back not bad for ... one ... learning ..these robot activities ..after this .. my next venture thank you for watching."

Looks good so far. I see you have a camera on its head any plans for using that?

ReplyQuote
AngeloB
(@angelob)

Hi, Thanks for viewing.

I am also on another forum, Dj, RoboHappy, nallycat, Nomad are other members,

here is the other robot place I am a member: https://synthiam.com/Community

I have many robots on there using the camera with face, color etc. recognition

following the blue line and talking, Eye move robot

We all use "free" Arc software

We also us Exosphere

Thanks again

EzAng

ReplyQuote
Melbul
(@melbul)

IMG 0967
IMG 0966
IMG 0965
IMG 0964
IMG 0963

The build has started!

Taking inspiration from DB1, I have started on my own build of a robot.

I will be using reclaimed materials, as much as possible, for the actual chassis. 40x40 Unistrut channel, 6mm clear acrylic and 2mm aluminium plate are all skip finds from work 🙂

Mechanics and wiring are not an issue for me, it will be the programming that I will struggle with, so there will no doubt be a lot of questions arising!

keep safe and well!

Mel.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@melbul

Great work Mel!  There are several of us on here that are anxiously awaiting the reappearance of anything related to DB1.  My version has been dubbed 'Willy Nilly' by my bride of 55 years.  She said she wasn't holding her breath until Willy took over all the household chores! 🤣 

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Melbul
(@melbul)

Mine is Tentatively called "BB1" short for "BulBot1".

The wife calls it "a waste of time and money!" 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Melbul
(@melbul)

Hi All,

does anyone have an opinion on this circuit please?

it is a circuit to attach a standard charger to my robot batteries, basically a relay which in normal off position allows the batteries to power the robot, when the charger is attached, it powers the relay and this puts the charger supply onto the batteries and disconnects the the robot circuit.

any suggestions welcome!

regards,

mel.

Robot Charging Circuit

ReplyQuote
hstaam
(@hstaam)
Mr.

Seems ok to me.

Enjoy your project.

hj

ReplyQuote