9 Users
14 Likes
16.2 K Views
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

YAY !

Got 3 ultrasonic sensors working...

The external WiFi to internal wired network is working, I just need to wire up the internal and external power to the "router" and I'm doing that now (during the testing phase, it's running on AC to save the batteries). After that, I think I'm ready to remove the scaffolding, button him up, and see what kind of damage I can do with ROS

I wish I had some kind of lawnmower attachment, but that's completely stupid and something I would never do

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

Been monitoring the output of the sensors while working on it, and without anything getting in front of the bot, it's doing this...

Can anybody explain this behavior ?

Nothing's in front of any of the sensors, so the numbers shouldn't be changing, but they're all doing it at the same time

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

Gonna (try to) add a few millis in between polling each sensor to see if that removes the scanning oddness

In the mean time, I tried my hand at making a video of the first tetherless test run. Drove it back and forth a few times, turned it, then gave full speed a shot

Gonna need some practice with the video software I guess

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

I signed up for a free year of FreedomRobotics, which connects to ROS thru their portal (and, obviously uses internet, so he is tethered to the web, albeit wirelessly)

It gives a nice web interface, and some training on the actual use of ROS, but I don't see it as something I'm going to want long term for this project, although it is pretty cool. Still working the bugs out with it

It might be something that some of you might want to try. They do have a raspberry pi operating system available for download that runs under raspbian stretch if anybody feels like trying that, since the only way I've been able to get ROS working on a Pi is to either load it under Ubuntu, or find an image that somebody else created 

I'm getting successful system feedback, as well as the lidar. I haven't tried to make it move yet using their interface (he moves using my own tho) and I can't seem to get the camera working yet, but it is a neat interface

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8