Clear all

Soldering Iron

22 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@pugwash

Obviously pictures don't lie, so I stand corrected - that's a powerful iron!

?

Does the USB soldering iron come with the welding mask? 

?

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

Of course, the main advantage of the Dremel or Weller is that you can't make Creme Brulee or Toasted Cheese with a USB soldering iron.

?

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Posted by: @pugwash

Of course, the main advantage of the Dremel or Weller is that you can't make Creme Brulee or Toasted Cheese with a USB soldering iron.

?

True - but as your picture illustrated you can use the USB soldering iron to weld your next robot chassis.

?

I'll have to get one of those soon!

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

Pugwash reacted
ReplyQuote
(@starnovice)

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

Bill

P.S - For the record, my very favorite computer of all time was the Apple II. I LOVED that machine and learned more about computers from it than anything else I've ever owned. So I am by no means "anti-Apple"!

I agree, my first 3 computers were Apple II's.  Loved loading everything from a cassette tape, NOT!

Pat Wicker (Portland, OR, USA)

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

Latest NEWS!

I did it, I took the plunge and splashed out a massive €4.55 (free shipping) for the USB iron. I could have got it locally for €7.95 but waiting 5 weeks for it to arrive from China, just heightens the suspense. Also, my middle name is "Frugal", (for non-native speakers, the posh word for "mean").

The five-week wait I can handle because I am, age-wise, as far as you can get from the instant gratification generation without suffering from dementia or Alzheimers.

The Creme Brulee maker is also on order, but there I am not so patient!

I have also been thinking about changing to SMD  components, I don't have a soldering station with hot air capabilities but I do have a 600°C hot air blower for paint stripping. Just place all the parts on the board with soldering paste and heat the whole lot up in one go!

After watching the following YouTube video I considered using this method.

But changed my mind, because of the "What the f*** are you up to?" question I would inevitably be confronted by from the missus!

C'est la Vie!

ReplyQuote
(@robcairns0)

This is too funny. ?

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

It has been about 4 weeks since I started this topic but now the 5V Soldering Iron has arrived.

IMG 4209

The most reassuring thing about this equipment is that for €4.55 including shipping, it is "PROFESSIONAL", as shown on the packaging.

IMG 4210

As you can see they were kind enough to throw in 150mm soldering wire. Generosity knows no bounds!

IMG 4211

The following pic shows that it works! It did not heat up in 15 seconds, but after 30 seconds it melted some solder, and it did not cool down in 30 seconds, defying Lord Kelvin's laws of Thermodynamics!

IMG 4212

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised, but I guess the welding mask must be coming in a separate package. ? 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2